We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marbella Neighborhood in Cartagena?

Which Cartagena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Marbella Neighborhood in Cartagena?

Hi Everyone,

We are traveling to Cartagena early next year (tickets purchased, it's official!) and in looking through housing options, we have found a seemingly beautiful beachfront high-rise apartment. In looking at the map for the high-rise, I see the neighborhood listed in Marbella. Not much information can be found on that specific neighborhood, therefore I am hoping you could provide me with useful information, like:

-is it a good and safe neighborhood?

-I see it's close to the airport, any concerns of air traffic noise?

-is there any new construction taking place in the area that may impact (apt is in Alta Mar Building) view/sound, etc?

-I know it will be a "short taxi ride" to Old City (~10 minutes), would you confirm whether getting taxis in this area (and back from Old City) would be easy (i.e., are cabs readily available/accessible)?

-anything we should know about that I may not have asked about?

We thank you in advance for your comments/feedback!

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marbella Neighborhood in Cartagena?

You shouldn't have any problem in that area as long as you use the same common sense as you would in any large city.

You are quite close to the old city; in fact, it is less than a ten minute taxi ride. Taxis are plentiful and you will never have a problem finding one. I was there in February and the only construction is further out near the airport as they are constructing a new highway. You also should not hear too much noise from the airport in that location.

Lecheria, Venezuela
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
784 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marbella Neighborhood in Cartagena?

Hi,

Expanding on bjsabina's comments: Marbella is not really much of a neighborhood. Just a one line of medium to high rise buildings in front of Santander avenue and in front of the ocean.It is good and safe (but as Bj suggested exercise caution as you would in any other city). It is close to the airport but not that close, you wont hear planes...some road traffic perhaps. I would say its more like a 5min taxi ride from Marbella to the Walled city and yes, they are plentiful and affordable. If you have the name of the building and I can tell you if the view is blocked or not ny another building.

(I actually live at the end of Marbella much closer to the airport).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marbella Neighborhood in Cartagena?

Thank you bjsabina and pelorrucho38!! You've given us the reassurance we needed. We are very much looking forward to this travel adventure - a ways to go but something to look forward to!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
248 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marbella Neighborhood in Cartagena?

I will be staying in that area as well, looks close to a lot.

toronto
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marbella Neighborhood in Cartagena?

Hi Pelorrucho38,

We are planning to stay in Cartagena a few days this winter and also looking at the Mabella area as I have heard you can actually walk to the old city. Would it be a long walk? The location would be the best of both words- beach and city. The apt, building we are looking at appears (on the map) to be at Santander and Calle 48. Do you know that part of the neighborhood? It got great reviews but I am also concerned about noise - both from below (traffic) and from beside (like neighbors with loud music. Are these places built with paper thin walls like the condo apts here? Any advise you may have would be greatly appreciated

thanks.

6. Re: Marbella Neighborhood in Cartagena?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 20:05
Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marbella Neighborhood in Cartagena?

Kind of dead out there. I'd rather stay in the walled city, Getsemani, or the bocagrande-laguito-castilogrande area.

toronto
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marbella Neighborhood in Cartagena?

Thanks. I really want dead. I'm looking for peace- to be away from noise, bars, restaurants, but to be within walking distance for when I need them. I really do want to get to know the old city and area, But the rest of the time, I want no excitement- just a beach where I can swim.

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Marbella Neighborhood in Cartagena?

Hello can u tell me how is the new hotel ibis in Marbella? Please I'm very confuse finding a hotel

Cartagena, Colombia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Marbella Neighborhood in Cartagena?

My gringo wife and I have lived in Marbella for 4 years, and we love it. We also have properties in the old city and in Bocagrande, but we prefer to rent those properties out. We lived in those other areas, but my redhead freckled beautiful wife was like a bright light to the vendor bugs that constantly approached her. In Marbella, nobody approaches us, because why would they? all the gringos with money are in the old city and Bocagrande! We find it a safe neighborhood, but I am also from Chicago, where we learn early on a thing or two about street smarts. Depending on the time of year, however you will receive what feels like exfoliation from the strong winds filled with sand coming off the caribbean sea. If you are a princess fresh out of the beauty salon, you will be annoyed; but if you are an awesome world traveller that scoffs at superficial nonsense, you may actually find it kinda cool! The other places are Mickey Mouse and touristy, but super cute and even at their worst they are not that bad, in general; however, Marbella is as real and safe as you can get to experiencing a real Cartagena neighborhood. Fortunately (for the capitalist in me) and maybe unfortunately (for the social scientist in me) in about 3-4 years, the area will change, as the Marriott has decided to build a massive hotel in the area along with a massive mall and World Trade Center Association. The Cartagena Global Center...shopping and fun for the masses, but for me it is my pension secured after I sell my house there!