We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise stop

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise stop

Hi,

I'm sure it's asked and asnwered but I can't find it...

Cartagena is a stop on my cruise, arrival 11am, departure 22pm.

I heard the old city of Cartagena is a must-see, but how should I check it out?

When I look at the tour descriptions of my cruise it's looking like you don't get any value for money, just busy and short tours....

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks heaps!

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise stop

You have the choice to either tour the old city on your own or to hire a tour guide to take you.

The old city is less than 5 km from the port but, because it is extremely hot and humid, and it's not through the best part of town, you should take a taxi. You can wander around on your own with no problem to see what you would like to see.

You could also hire your own tour guide instead of taking the tour from the ship. The advantage is that the guide can customize the tour to what you want to see, you get their personal attention and you will also get a lot more information about the history and interesting facts about the city. If you are interested in having an excellent tour guide, you will see rave reviews on this site for my friend JJ, who is a professional tour guide. You can contact him at jacinto-200@hotmail.com .

Whatever your choice, you will love this stop on your cruise.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise stop

You can take a taxi to the old city. The old city is beautiful and safe. You can wonder around.

You can also check out boca grande and its nice to visit the Monastry on cerro la popa (wonderful view) and the castillo San felipe. This can be all done with taxis.

If you are more interested in the history of the town and some local customs I would advise to take a guide. If they have a car they can also drive you around to the places.

I myself had a very good experience with JJ. He knows a lot about the city and can drive you where you like to go. He could pick you up from the cruise terminal and finish the tour in the old city where you can wander around some more and eat there and take a taxi back to the cruise.

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise stop

The ship tours will be expensive. The terminal where the cruise ship is, is close to the old city in a taxi. The ones inside the terinal will be more expensive - you can walk outside the terminal gates and get one on the street - just be sure to agree a price before getting in.

With that time you could go to the San Filipe Fort first - sort of on the way - and then take a taxi from there to the clock tower gate at the old city and walk around yourself. No need (IMO) for guides if you have a guide book or general notes. Try to get to Cafe Del Mar in the old city (on the wall near Santo Domingo plaza) for sunset drinks - very nice and popular.

Would not bother with Boco grande - if you must you can climb the old city walls and see it from afar.

We did this cruise (leaving from Cartagena) 2 years ago and really enjoyed it.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise stop

I tried to get in touch with JJ, since he comes with suuch praise. Sadly I haven't gotten a reply from him. I'm leaving in a couple of hours and I won't have any access to the internet anymore.

I think we will now go with Bicks_medellin 's option. I'm really excited to go!

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise stop

SdB87, JJ's computer has not been working so he has not been able to check his e-mails as regularly as usual. If you have access to a phone, his cell number is 317-796-2542 or 312-607-9373.

Have a wonderful trip!

6. Re: Cruise stop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:23