We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to visit San Felipe de Barajas castle?

Canada
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
How to visit San Felipe de Barajas castle?

I read the reviews on this site, and they just got me more confused.

I'll start by admitting that I am just a crass, shallow tourist, not really interested in dry facts, names or dates (By next day I forget them anyway). I want to visit the castle, be impressed, and be entertained. so, with that in mind...

1 - What time of day to go - early morning? Sunset? (recommendations are all over the map)

2 - Pre-arrange a guide? Hire one at the entrance? Audio-tape? no guide?

Thx

Guianza Express Tours Guides Y Transportation
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Cartagena E Brasil
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Hire
Free Biking Tour Cartagena
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,339 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to visit San Felipe de Barajas castle?

As far as time of day, I don't think it really matters. It might be a bit cooler if you went in the morning, but it's always hot and humid, so . . .

I like to wander on my own and I'm not into history but I did find a guide worthwhile for the fort because of the unique information he was able to provide on the strategy on how it was built for the defense of the city, point out some of the unique features and what they were for, etc.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to visit San Felipe de Barajas castle?

bj - sent you PM

Are the guides at the gate "official" i.e. - qualified and licensed?

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,339 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to visit San Felipe de Barajas castle?

I'll respond to your e-mail shortly. As far as the guides at the gate, I can't say for sure but i would assume that some are licensed, others not.

I will highly recommend my friend JJ. I'll send you his contact information but you can also do a search on this forum and see that he receives rave reviews on his service.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to visit San Felipe de Barajas castle?

JJ contacted... awaiting response.

Has anyone used the guides at the gate? Are they licensed?

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to visit San Felipe de Barajas castle?

Guides at the gate and inside are official - they are easy to tell from the pests.

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How to visit San Felipe de Barajas castle?

Concur with Bicks - use the guides inside. If you are not really interested in details you can just walk it on your own. If you prefer going on your own, there is a little book called'' The Fortifications of Cartagena de Indias'' by Rudolfo Segovia Salas. You can usually buy it in the bookstores in the Old City. My first time that I visited was at mid day. I don't advise this - I nearly melted. The light is very different in the city in the early morning and late afternoon. Try La Popa and El Castillo at different times to get this varied perspective.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to visit San Felipe de Barajas castle?

Thx, folks. We were thinking of going there late afternoon... possibly to catch some sunset photos (any good? open at sunset?)

And we WILL hire a guide.... and we WILL ask him/her to skip all the dry stuff and give us just the juicy, gory, exciting stories. (with apologies to Colombian history buffs)

Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to visit San Felipe de Barajas castle?

The San felipe castle, is the most important military construction from Spain in Cartagena De Indias.

to enjoy this place the best thing you can do is to get a licensed tour guide in a tours guides association, contact them in asoguipalpresidencia@hotmail.com

Canada
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to visit San Felipe de Barajas castle?

Touring - thx for the comment. I'm going to hire a guide - either JJ, recommended here (and licensed, I believe), or a guide at the gate.

Just as a matter of interest - are all licensed guides also members of the association?

10. Re: How to visit San Felipe de Barajas castle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 06:21