We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starter Cartagena Questions

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Topic
Starter Cartagena Questions

I'm thinking about taking a quick trip to Cartagena over Thanksgiving weekend. Have a few questions before I dive into planning:

-I'm a single female traveler in my late 20s with very limited Spanish. Is it safe? (I know, I know, no bling/expensive cameras/4 am drunken stumbling... but is there anything destination-specific I should avoid?)

-I may only have 1 1/2 full days... is it worth it to use one on a day trip to the Rosario Islands? Also I've heard a few boat horror stories - can anyone recommend a good company?

-I'd love to get a taste of the local nightlife scene, but again, solo female traveler... I'm less likely to go dance all night at a club by myself. Are there any particularly good/social spots for meeting people? Will be staying in a hostel but would love to go beyond the backpacker crowd.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

This Is Cartagena
Boat Hire, Bike Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Medellin
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starter Cartagena Questions

I would skip the iskand tour with that timeframe - not that special.

The old city and main areas of Getsemani ( sp) very safe observing normal precautions. Colombians are very friendly and I would think, at the normal bars, people would talk to you anyway out of interest as a lone female. I would check out the bar outside of tu candela near the clock tower ( next to the hardrock) for people watchin etc (same for drinks in Santo Domingo plaza). Later, i recomnend Babar disco in the old city- great place and more up market. In Getsemani, Mr Babillas is awsome on a good night, but can be hit or miss. Havanna salsa bar is also great.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 23:49
London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,339 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starter Cartagena Questions

I agree with Bicks; don't bother with Rosario if you only have limited time. The beauty of Cartagena is the old city and the people so spend your limited time there.

Go to Cafe del Mar for a drink at sunset; it's on top of the wall overlooking the sea. Beautiful!

You should have no problem re: safety as long as you use the same common sense that you use in any large city.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starter Cartagena Questions

Walled City is very safe.. for 1.5 I would stay in the old city and visit the fortress and the monastry la popa (not in the walled city).. Near the clocktower you find several places to have a drink, sunset bar is also nice for the sunset. You should get around with limited spanish!

4. Re: Starter Cartagena Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2014, 05:21