We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis from Cruise ship port into city

Which Cartagena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis from Cruise ship port into city

My husband can't walk a long distance. Is it much of a walk to get a taxi from the ship? Is it easy to get a taxi at the port (and one back to the ship)? How far is it from the port to the city? How much will a taxi cost? Thanks for your help in advance.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis from Cruise ship port into city

The taxis will be waiting at the entrance to the port. You will have no problem finding a taxi at the port or in the city to take you back; there are thousands of taxis in the city. It is less than 4 miles from the port to the old city. Taxis are very reasonable in Cartagena but you will probably pay a bit more from the port. Just establish your price prior to getting into the taxi.

Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis from Cruise ship port into city

Many thanks. Very helpful. Much appreciated.

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis from Cruise ship port into city

If you walk out the front gates of the port and go up a street or two you will get a much better rate; not that they are expensive.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis from Cruise ship port into city

Just so you know, taxi prices in Cartagena are fixed according to a published schedule, they are not negotiable. Most of the taxi drivers are honest and will quote you the correct fare. As Bicks notes, the fare is higher at the port than it is in the surrounding neighborhood. Same thing at the airport. Frankly, the fares are low enough to begin with that I really wouldn't worry about the difference. And the drivers will be really happy if you tip them a couple thousand pesos. It's not normal and they're very appreciative.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis from Cruise ship port into city

It is possible to get a cheaper taxi fare if you pick up the cab outside the port

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis from Cruise ship port into city

How much is a cab from the port to the Castillo?

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis from Cruise ship port into city

Acek, sorry I disagree with you. I lived in Cartagena for over 2 years. I had a taxi driver that I called regularly but if I hailed one on the street - I would not say most are honest. I would say that there are a fair number that will take advantage of a tourist if they can.

You are correct that the taxi rates are set by the Alcaldia every year. If a person is not going a long distance then the drivers are not likely to negotiate - but they will negotiate on longer distances. The rates are established by zones. For example if you are going from Manga to El Centro the fare is 5.000 COP. If you want to go to El Cabrero, just on the other side - probably 5.600 COP and to Crespo 6.500 COP.

The 2013 rates from the '' Muelle Touristica'' - or the Cruise Ship Terminal are:

El Centro - 12.000 COP

El Castillo de San Felipe - 12.000 COP

Bocagrande - 16.000 COP

The hourly rate is 22.000 COP

Bicks is correct, if you walk a couple blocks from the terminal you will get a lesser rate - maybe 10.000 COP,

but for an extra dollar, it is not worth the hassle.

8. Re: Taxis from Cruise ship port into city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2014, 06:21