We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Colombia after Cartagena--suggestions?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
176 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Colombia after Cartagena--suggestions?

We are a family of 5 with kids aged 10-13. We are spending Semana Santa in Cartagena and had planned on going to Mompox for the second week of our stay. I'm rethinking this idea and would love to get suggestions for a second week. Could be all in one place, or a week of traveling around. Beach, inland, it's all fine with us. Would just love to see more of Colombia on our first trip there. Thanks.

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Colombia after Cartagena--suggestions?

Medellin. From there on day trips visit Guatape and El Penol / Santa fe de Antioquia / Jardin / Parque Arvi.

Santa Marta. Visit the beaches around there / Minca (town up in the mountains) / Parque Tayrona / you could even do a 2 day trip to La Guajira with an organised tour company.

Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
980 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Colombia after Cartagena--suggestions?

My vote also goes for Santa Marta, Tayrona and Minca (believe La guajira is a bit of a stretch).

Better beaches than Cartagena, and Siera Nevada is quite the place.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
176 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Colombia after Cartagena--suggestions?

Thanks very much. I'm going to start my research now.

Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in Colombia after Cartagena--suggestions?

You could look for Cabo de la Vela too!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
176 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in Colombia after Cartagena--suggestions?

I am thinking about 6 nights between the Kali hotels, Villa Maria near the beach, and one in the center of Santa Marta. Any thoughts from you kind posters on this plan?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in Colombia after Cartagena--suggestions?

All these options are great but if you're traveling with kids that age, you should really consider the Coffee Region. It has outdoorsy stuff like zip-lining and horseback riding, but also has coffee plantation tours that are good for kids. They also have Panaca and El Parque del Café which have rides and didactic stuff for kids. We went as big group with kids ages 10-15 and they had a blast. They especially liked rafting down the river where they got to float next to the raft and do some hiking up to the most beautiful waterfall.

7. Re: A week in Colombia after Cartagena--suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 23:35
London
Level Contributor
43 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week in Colombia after Cartagena--suggestions?

Hi I have just completed a trip to Colombia and I think my notes might be helpful to you. I second the thought about Salento though Santa Marta is an option as is Barichara. Up to you!

http://andrewchum.blogspot.co.uk/

A

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
176 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A week in Colombia after Cartagena--suggestions?

Thanks. I'm enjoying your blog now! We have booked a non-refundable hotel in Santa Marta so are committed to going there now.

10. Re: A week in Colombia after Cartagena--suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 18:35