We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in Cartagena - suggestions where to stay?

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in Cartagena - suggestions where to stay?

Hello,

I will be in Cartagena for 3 nights/4 days at the end of a 3 week trip -- intent is to have some relaxation, but also take full advantage of exploring the city. Having trouble figuring out where to stay. Originally had thought the Occidental to relax but still easy access to city with the convenient shuttle - my mother had stayed there and said it was ok, however she'd done it on a much cheaper AI package (flight/hotel) vs. the price per night for hotel only is very high in comparison. I was also looking at the Hotel Dann? Is it worth staying on/close to the beach? There seem so many places close to the old town also. Or even some of the B&Bs seem to get great reviews. A hotel with a nice pool to lounge by would be nice, but this seems not that common within a reasonable price range. Not looking for "budget" accommodation, but surprised by some of the extremely high hotel prices! Another consideration is safety of location, experienced traveler but female traveling solo.

Appreciate any ideas, tips or suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Cartagena
Cartagena
Cartagena District, Colombia
Hotel Dann Cartagena
Hotel Dann Cartagena
1,193 Reviews
Cartagena, Colombia
Medellin
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights in Cartagena - suggestions where to stay?

Casa Mara has 3 hotels in Getsemani of various prices - we like their places.

Tres Banderas in the old city is good as well.

Personally I would stay in the old town area rather than Bocogrande.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in Cartagena - suggestions where to stay?

Cartagena hotels are in general ridiculously expensive. That's why I stay in apartments now. But it takes a fair bit of effort and the results can be unpredictable.

If you want to lounge by a pool, the Santa Theresa's is stunning. In bocagrande/laguito, the Dann and Hilton are both good choices.

You may well be happiest in the walled city or Getsemani though. Really depends on how much you want to be inside the walls versus in a modern area adjacent to a very mediocre (but always entertaining) beach that's filled with Colombians rather than extranjeros.

Mentioned in this post
Cartagena
Cartagena
Cartagena District, Colombia
Hotel Dann Cartagena
Hotel Dann Cartagena
1,193 Reviews
Cartagena, Colombia
Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in Cartagena - suggestions where to stay?

Charleston Santa Teresa and Hilton both $300+, more than I want (or think I need) to pay...

Currently looking at Barlovento, Hampton by Hilton, Almirante, Caribe, Bustamante, Capilla del Mar, Dann... in order from $98-$163... all very different obviously... really not getting anywhere in deciding!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Charleston Santa Teresa
Hotel Charleston Santa...
664 Reviews
Cartagena, Colombia
Hotel Barlovento
Hotel Barlovento
436 Reviews
Cartagena, Colombia
Hampton by Hilton Cartagena
Hampton by Hilton...
1,715 Reviews
Cartagena, Colombia
Hotel Almirante Cartagena Colombia
Hotel Almirante...
1,418 Reviews
Cartagena, Colombia
Hotel Caribe
Hotel Caribe
1,631 Reviews
Cartagena, Colombia
Hotel Capilla del Mar
Hotel Capilla del Mar
2,193 Reviews
Cartagena, Colombia
Hotel Dann Cartagena
Hotel Dann Cartagena
1,193 Reviews
Cartagena, Colombia
London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,356 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in Cartagena - suggestions where to stay?

KatCanuck, perhaps you would like to consider an apartment. I usually rent an apartment in the Laguito neighborhood, right on the beach and a short, cheap cab ride to the old city. I have always paid less per night than the prices you mention. If you wish to check out what's available, my contact is Mery Salence and you can e-mail her at oficerna@yahoo.com .

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights in Cartagena - suggestions where to stay?

Yes $300 bucks is a lot of scratch ;as suggested you could rent a decent bocagrande apartment for less or stay in the old city. I like the quiet street where Tres banderas is located which btw is owned by a fellow canuck; there's also a few other cool places to stay nearby.

Check out Hampton’s by Hilton weekend special;yes timing can be everything.....

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g297476-d3971646…

Mentioned in this post
Hampton by Hilton Cartagena
Hampton by Hilton...
1,715 Reviews
Cartagena, Colombia
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights in Cartagena - suggestions where to stay?

Regina, I would recommend the Holiday Inn in Morros, it is a 10 minutes drive from the Airport, and from the old city. I can recommend a wonderful driver, we used 3 weeks ago. He knows the old city and can recommend great restaurants as well.

Farmington, CT
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights in Cartagena - suggestions where to stay?

Just an FYI, I just booked a trip in July with my family and am paying $150 per night for each of the two rooms, including taxes, at the Hotel Caribe. I did like some of the old town places but the ones I liked were all in the 300-400 range.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Caribe
Hotel Caribe
1,631 Reviews
Cartagena, Colombia
Farmington, CT
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights in Cartagena - suggestions where to stay?

I would appreciate it if you can recommend the driver's name to me as well. I will be visiting with my family - 5 of us in all - and wondering if his vehicle can accommodate all of us and the luggage.

Also, how do you pay him?

Thanks.

Farmington, CT
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights in Cartagena - suggestions where to stay?

Sorry, please reply to this message about the name and contact info for the driver - I did not check the little box in the previous message.

Also, is this person trustworthy?

Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 nights in Cartagena - suggestions where to stay?

The name of the driver and his mobile # are: Manuel Rivero Romero Mob 311-791-4540 or 300-488-9356.

Yes, he is trustworthy, very gentle and you can negotiate the rate according to where you want him to take you. I paid $12.000 COP ($7 USD) one way to the airport from the Hotel, and also to the Old City.