We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Ibague-Cartagena-Medellin

Which Cartagena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Ibague-Cartagena-Medellin

We have access to a car and 4 weeks time to spend in Colombia, and my questions are 1) is it safe to do this drive (in terms of hassle/crime, not bad roads,) and 2) what suggestions do people have for worthwhile stops near this route?

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Ibague-Cartagena-Medellin

It is a very long drive from Cartagena to Medellin however it also has some great scenery. The biggest worry will be crazy drivers, buses included, who like overtaking at speed on blind corners; the actual roads were ok, a few pot holes, however very few overtaking lanes. The toll bridges are frequent and expensive (for Colombia)

I cannot find the article; however a few days ago there was a report of a FARC attack on the Cartagena to Medellin roads near one of the towns we passed through.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,708 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Ibague-Cartagena-Medellin

Before deciding to drive - the questions I would have for you

1 Have you been to Colombia before?

2. Have you driven in Colombia?

3. Do you speak Spanish?

If it is your first time in Colombia and you don't speak the language - don't drive, fly between CTG and Medellin- then use taxis within the city - even if you drove I would park the car in Medellin and use taxis, buses and the Metro to get around.

3. Re: Driving Ibague-Cartagena-Medellin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 06:23