We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cartagena beach

Level Contributor
228 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Cartagena beach

Hi I would like to know how the beaches are in Cartagena, is the water crystal clear?

I have Heard rumors that the water is dirty , filthy and if you want a clean beach you have to visit Rosario island ??

Thanks

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cartagena beach

What you heard is true - the water is murky; not clear at all. The sand is brown.

Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cartagena beach

This is not true, the water is not dirty nor filthy.

The sand is not white but dark grey hence the strange appearance.

It is as clean as Rosario Island's or Baru's.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 15:43
Medellin
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cartagena beach

Don't canals (manmade) from the Canal del Dique dump all and everything into the Cartagena bay. There was a post on here some time ago with the water quality analysis that was not a pretty picture. Cartagena beaches are dumps. If you want clear beaches with white sand and clear water for ie snorkeling, then head over to Rosario or Baru.

The best area / beach in Cartagena main, IMO, is la playa boquilla, to the eat where they do all the kite surfing. Less rubbish then Bocogrande, less vendors and more upmarket.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cartagena beach

I usually stay in the El Laguito neighborhood and I have to say that the beach where I go is clear. It may not be the pretty aqua colour but when I am in the water it is clear; the brown sand makes it look murky.

Having said that, I, too, like the beach at La Boquilla or even out further at Manzanillo.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 00:12
Cartagena District...
Destination Expert
for Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cartagena beach

Thats not true either Bicks medellin, the cannal is river water (magdalena river) "dumped" as you put it much closer to baru/rosario Island than to Cartagena beaches.

Cartagena beaches are on open waters not on the bay. Furthermore, the waste water from the city is extensively treated before been sent in a 5mile long pipe deep in the ocean, much closer to Manzanillo del Mar than Cartagena.

I suggest you get informed before typing the wrong information and confuse travellers.

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cartagena beach

Pelo - most people think Cartagena beaches are dumps (''dumps'' in English in this case infers not nice; not pretty; horrible). Read between the lines,; maybe I am wrong, but the poster is looking for your stereotypical carribean beach with white sand and crystal water, and the beaches around Cartagena do not fulfill that image. If you think they do, that is your prerogative.

I am not certain on where the waste water is sent however there is enough on the net to suggest that the water in Cartagena (Bocogrande) is not ''clean'' (or just go down to the main swimming beach and check out the rubbish floating around in it on a busy day).

Do I think he / she will get sick from swimming there etc, probably not. People swim there every day, however I stand by my statement that they are dumps with rubbish everywhere (have a look at the main beaches at Bocogrande at 4 to 5 pm after people start leaving - filthy. Take a further look in the immediate shoreline with said rubbish floating around.

I will leave you with the below; I am sure you can pull up others that state the opposite.

From Al Tiempo

Adriana Yepes Mayorga, investigadora de la Universidad Distrital Francisco José de Caldas, quien ha estudiado en el pasado la situación de las playas de Bocagrande y Marbella, en las que entonces los parámetros microbiológicos estuvieron por encima de la normal....

From Revista Cientifica

Con respecto a las variables microbiológicas, se observó que las aguas de recreo de las playas evaluadas presentan mayores niveles de contaminación por coliformes totales CT, seguidos de E co//y, finalmente Enterococos E, en orden descendente de concentración.....

Boston...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cartagena beach

The water is not the crystal clear water you may have seen in other places in the Caribbean, but it is my understanding that this is at least partially caused by the composition of the sand.

8. Re: Cartagena beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 05:15