We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

medellin

Houston
7 posts
Save Topic
medellin

I will be in Medellin in August and am considering an apt. in Pation Bonito. Is this a good location for the festival events???

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: medellin

There are events all over the city - patio Bonito is fine.

London, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: medellin

Check out the Paisasky:

rentpaisasky@gmail.com

I have been there last year - highly recommended.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: medellin

The above " hotel" may or maybe not be a good choice - but checking out their reviews - all 5 stars - and almost all from people with one review to their profile - something fishy -

Also you are renting a room not a hotel room ( or an idividual apartment)- I don't know anything about the house- but unless you know someone who has personaly stayed there I would be very careful renting a room in a "penthouse" in Medellin they tend to attract a different type of traveler

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: medellin

Re the tout for the hotel Palsasky (which is now appearing in multiple threads) "I have been there last year" is not a proper English construction. So I am questioning whether the poster is really from London.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: medellin

Anytime you see - all 5 star reviews mostly from posters who it is there first review - it does not past the smell test -

This hotel/ house has been pimped here before - it might be fine but recommending it to everyone even someone who is looking for an apartment in Poblado - just does not make sense.

I live here and am in Centro a lot - the area where the apartment is located - I like Centro and have stayed there before I moved here - but for single women or 2 women - I would not recomend it - if you are very familiar with Medellin - possibly - but it is an area that I don't want my wife in after dark alone - and she would not want to be there either and she is a Paisa,

Owatonna, Minnesota
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: medellin

In 2010 I went to Medellin for the first time (arriving from Ecuador) and went for the weekend of the Feria de Flores. I stayed in El Poblado in a nice hotel that was called Apartamentos Estelar, if I remember the name correctly. It was right next to a large shopping mall. From there another traveller who I met randomly and I walked a ways to a station to take the metro to a good place to see the Desfile de Silleteros. I remember that at the time I had booked it on hotels.com for about $65 per night, and I was quite pleased with the place. I know I would pay 2-3 times that rate for a similar place in the US.

However, prices may have gone up by now and I am sure that the posters who actually live in Medellin can give you better advice. My next trip to Medellin I am staying in a home stay (better value and much better cultural immersion), but if I needed a hotel for some reason I would definitely go back there again.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: medellin

Prices have gone up some - but there is actually a glut of hotel rooms in Medellin right now however at Festival de flores time - most hotels are full or get highe rates -

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: medellin

I'm a solo female traveller and I want to respond that I stayed at Paisasky lately (June 8-15, 2012) and it was a great apartment for my purposes. I paid $50/night, which I felt was very reasonable for your own room, bathroom, terrace, and free, hearty breakfast. I don't know the rates during the Feria de Flores (I wish I could go to this, but will be missing it!), but it's easy to email the owners (Brigitte and Juan) and ask. If you want to stay in El Poblado, I'm sure it is probably fine too, but my experience in Centro satisfied my needs. I have been staying with a family in Bogota and Villavicenio prior to my trip to Medellin, and I didn't really want to do the hostel scene after one pretty awful night in Bogota. I was also attracted to Paisasky because Brigitte will also give an hour of free Spanish lessons everyday, and that has been a main goal of this trip. Granted Centro is not Zona Rosa for all the night life (I don't know for sure, but it night life seems like it could be sketchier in Centro), but if you're not looking to party every night, I don't think it's a bad place to center your sightseeing activities. This place is also close to the Metro, which I found to be great for me to get around the city. Paisasky is also in a large building with private security up front, and being on the penthouse floor meant that I felt very safe. It is also not hard to call a taxi to take you where you want to go. The most threatening thing up there was sometimes it gets mildy windy up on the 19th floor and you have to remember to shut the doors so they don't slam. Go to http://www.paisasky.blogspot.com/ to see actual pictures of the place and read my review of it. I also booked the room after reading reviews on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Forum as well as this review, leaveyourdailyhell.com/2012/05/31/roomorama-… If anything, that writer was kind of bummed that no guests were allowed, so it's the anti-sketch place... I'm staying now at another apartment in Cartagena, and while it's nice and a great location on the square (found it on Airbnb), it's definitely not modern and is quite different from Paisasky.

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: medellin

I always book on airbnb because you get to read honest reviews and you can be assured that what you see is what you get since the owners can have photos taken and verified by airbnb fotographers. Finding recomendations on online forums is handy but cannot always be relied upon especially if the reviewer has no history online other than one rating.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: medellin

be careful of who you rent from, many foreigners get ripped off in medellin with apartment rentals, fee changes/ deposits, locks changed, theft ect.

and never let any girls into your apartment, fastest way to get drugged.

Get answers to your questions about Medellin