We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pool hall/ Billards in MDE

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pool hall/ Billards in MDE

My father and I are traveling the first week in december and are looking for a place near poblado for shooting some pool. My father is early 60s so we will not be out late at night, maybe 9pm the latest. Therefore please do not suggest a night club with a pool table. We are looking for a lounge type atmosphere with drinks, easy music, a pool table and (indoor) smoking a cigar. Also, is it best to exchange to pesos at the airport? How many pesos does an average beer cost at a bar (not mango's). Im trying to compare approximately how many pesos a $5 beer will be equivalent to. Can anyone suggest where we can see coffee fields that are not more than 1 & half hours away? I understand I am not near coffee country but would still like to see some if close by.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pool hall/ Billards in MDE

Medellin is not one of my areas of expertise; however we are lucky enough to have a trusted forum member (CDY) with plenty of on the ground experience to help you. Until then here’s a few leads;

http://www.cylex.com.co/medell%C3%ADn/salones+de+billar.html

imigra.com.co/antioquia/…salones_de_billar

Wow the 2nd link says there are 68 Salones de Billar en Medellin. In general beer prices will vary in Colombia depending on the quality of the establishment and the origin of the beer you order. Today’s exchange rate COP/USD = 1,797.99985 U$5 = 9000pesos http://themoneyconverter.com/USD/COP.aspx

I‘ve found the best place to buy pesos is a bank ATM – some US banks don’t charge clients if you use their machine; in any case one transaction is about 3000 pesos most ATM will have max withdrawal i.e. HSBC = 800K

Re; coffee country Medellin is surrounded by coffee plantations, the Medellin Living Guides lists among other things a tour to a small coffee plantation 34k – Medellin.

medellinliving.com/colombian-flavors-cooking…

I would also recommend you visit a few other interesting towns near Medellin i.e. Guatape, Santa Fe, Jardin.

Buen Viaje!

Edited: 18 October 2012, 22:55
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pool hall/ Billards in MDE

Will businesses accept american dollars (like other touristy spots in the world) or is it best to just exchange monies and pay in colombian pesos?

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pool hall/ Billards in MDE

Businesses will not accept $, you need pesos

Tons of pool halls in Medellin, but not gringo pool, is has 3 balls and no pockets and i have no clue how to play,

Many more pool halls outside of Poblado, head over to envigado or Sabaneta, countless close to the parques

Edited: 20 October 2012, 15:22
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pool hall/ Billards in MDE

Nobody takes dollars that I am aware of. You shoulsd change pesos. Citibank has branches there if you happen to use that bank back at home.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pool hall/ Billards in MDE

"Many more pool halls outside of Poblado, head over to envigado or Sabaneta, countless close to the parques"

I would guess that beer in these areas would be about $1-$2

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pool hall/ Billards in MDE

Dont expect to walk into Citi and access your account other than using an Atm card, two different systems not tied together other than the atm network

A beer in the park - 2500 pesos for a pilsen

7. Re: Pool hall/ Billards in MDE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Medellin