We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medellin, Long term apartment rental

Ukpiagvik, Alaska
1 post
Save Topic
Medellin, Long term apartment rental

Hello. I'm wondering if anyone can help me find an apartment to rent for at least 1 year?

Thank You!

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
74 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medellin, Long term apartment rental

Check these guys out:

http://www.arthousemedellin.com/

I have a few friends staying there and it is indeed a nice place.

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medellin, Long term apartment rental

first American realty and luho have apartments for long term rentals. They will be more expensive than doing it yourself, however also much easier as you don't need the co-signers. Paradise realty with James is another one catering to expats.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medellin, Long term apartment rental

Best way to find an apartment in Medellin, is being there, you wont be able to go through a local RE agency, they will want to local co-signers who own property, their are a couple of ex-pat rental agencies but you will pay gringo pricing - $1200/month and up.

You need to walk the streets and look for by owner signs, talk with security guys at the front door, offer to pay 6 months in advance, talk to other ex pats who live there.

The above suggestion might work, but it looks like a hostel, pricing isnt too bad, i know the neighborhood in Envigado, prettty typical middle class area, it is safe.

Speaking Sanish will help, if you cant speak it , you will have a tough time locating an apartment at local rates, also furnished ones are hard to find that arent targeted to ex-pats, ( again higher $$)

Mentioned in this post
Envigado
Envigado
Antioquia Department, Colombia
Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
74 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medellin, Long term apartment rental

The Art House isn't a hostel. It's a house owned by an American ex-pat who does short term/long term rentals. It's pretty much a large shared four room house, located in a nice area of Envigado. No co-sign BS required.

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
The Art House Medellin
The Art House Medellin
15 Reviews
Medellin, Colombia
Envigado
Envigado
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medellin, Long term apartment rental

Maybe not a hostel , but it looks like you rent a room with a shared bath, living and kitchen facilities, i think this would work fine for shorter term but for a year? Of course it depands on the likes of the original poster, if you like privacy, maybe mot the best choice.

My concerns renting a room in a shared apartment with other ex-pats- who will you be sharing with? i have met a lot of good people visiting Medellin, but also a number of nut-jobs, for a couple of weeks you can probably put up with most anyone but for longer term?

You might hook up with them as a base for you intial arrival, stay there while you look for an apartment or maybe you find out you like it and stay the entire time.

One question for the original poster - you realize under a tourist visa you are limited to 180 days oer year in Colombia?

Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medellin, Long term apartment rental

I have a place that just became vacant. 3 BR 2 bath, 2 level (14th and 15th floors) apartment in Laureles/Conquistadores. It is just below the penthouse in a 16 story building. It is currently unfurnished but I have the furniture in storage and could quickly move it back in if you wanted a furnished place, Nice top of the line furniture too. Sofa with dual recliners and side recliner, queen pillow top mattress, LG 42" TV with stereo surround sound. All sheets, towels, dishes....everything. Just move in and get your internet set up and go to the grocery store!

It is a family oriented building so would not be interested in a partier or someone wanting to bring unending prepagos in and out of the building.

Entire 2nd floor is a master suite with Jacuzzi tub, WIC etc. Gym, steam room, pool and jacuzzu 2 floors below.

I pay monthly Admin fees and taxes. You pay all utilities. Can accept rent in USD if you prefer. 1,800,000 unfurnished or 2,200,000 furnished ($1,000/$1,250,000 USD)

Incedible views to the north and east of the city on one side (see downtown, stadium). Nutibarra (Pueblito Paisa) and local airport out the other side (south and west)

3 Blocks walk to UniCentro, Exito. Bus service out your front door to El Centro/Or Uni Centro Mall (less than $1.00). Other bus lines within 2 blocks. Taxis out your front door as well 24 hours per day. 10 minutes to El Poblado. Local tiendas deliver 24 hours per day.

If you plan to take Spanish classes, UPB is about 3 blocks away (across the street from UniCentro Mall).

Nice flat terrain for walking, jogging, biking. Not like the hills of Poblado and other areas of town. Lots of restaurants close by and most deliver. Lots of local bars on 33 and 70 within "crawling" distance!!

Let me kn ow if interested. Getting ready to list it with an agency.

Mentioned in this post
Pueblito Paisa
Pueblito Paisa
2,411 Reviews
Medellin, Colombia
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medellin, Long term apartment rental

Sandman's sounds reasonable if you rent it furnished, gringo pricing but very few apartments are furnished and furniture in Colombia is not cheap, especially electronics. You would also cut out the need for co- signers.

You can find apartments with local pricing without going through an agency but it takes work plus the ability to speak Spanish plus at least 3 months rent upfront, sometimes more.

I rented a similar size house in Envigado, in a nice area, about 180 sq metros but rented from a family member, did not give us a break on the price but no co-signers $650/month - not furnished.

Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Envigado
Envigado
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medellin, Long term apartment rental

I see nothing wrong with paying the rent upfront if its going to save you money in the long run.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Medellin, Long term apartment rental

My first apartment in Medellin, I paid 1 year in advance because I could not get a Colombian feador (co-signor) or pass having credit locally (in the US I was a 750+++). I finally bought a place because I did not want the hassle.

Acestett, you need to let me know if you are interested. My wife can meet you there and help you set up your services, introduce you the porteros and get the necessary documents signed.

If you want furnished, she can help you get the furniture moved from storage.

E-mail me at sandman0011@gmail.com so we can make contact.

Medellin, Colombia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Medellin, Long term apartment rental

I have a 2br 2ba fully furnished in Poblado. 2 million COP/mo utilities not included. Available for long term lease paid in advance

rbrtrdrgz84@gmail.com