We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you know what I mean?

Which Medellin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Do you know what I mean?

Last trip was the 10th time that we stayed at an apartment, in laureles. We had always had a cleaning girl who cooked for us but thru some friends we were able to hire a chef for 20,000 pesos an hour.

He spoke English so understood exactly what we wanted. I had him make us homefries for the week as well as a large pot of meatballs which we used for sandwiches. They sell large Italian breads at tthe Exito.

We needed a second girl to just wash the dishes as the chef prepared dinner for 8 of us, twice.

There is no shortgage of people that want to work.

People back in the States can't understand how great we have it in Medellin.

You know what I mean?

2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you know what I mean?

I stay in Laureless also when I visit. Can you provide contact for the chef and maids.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you know what I mean?

I stay in Laureless also when I visit. Can you provide contact for the chef and maids.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you know what I mean?

I know what you mean. There's something about feeling like a big shot gringo, feeling rich, a feeling you can't get at home. Good on you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you know what I mean?

I can provide both. PM me with the request since I don't want to just post their contact information on here.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you know what I mean?

It was funny when our maid said that he was working her the hardest she ever worked. He arrived around 1, we took off for Exito and he picked out all that we needed.

He needed the pots washed as he was preparing about 5 different items. He prepared three different sauces for the various dishes as well.

She called a friend who was happy to do dishes for 5 hours for 15,000 pesos. She also ate very well and got a taxi home.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you know what I mean?

Just to clarify: I was being ironic.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you know what I mean?

Just as a comparison : the going rate for help in Medellin

We paid 12k pesos for woman to come and cook lunch on a daily basis and wash the dishes - she was there for about a1.5 hours 4 days a week

If you want your whole house cleaned - minimum 30k pesos but can be as high as 50k pesos

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you know what I mean?

In Bogota we pay 30k/35k - 3 days/ weekly for cleaning, cooking lunch, and a half day for laundry once a week; we also provide breakfast, lunch and snacks. Turnover is big for hired help as they tend to move on to greener pastures; finding the right fit for a family can be difficult, providing frequent employment and a good working relationship is very important.

Major family grocery purchases are done by - weekly; split between a Plaza de Mercado i.e. Paloquemao and big box supermarkets. One thing in Colombia I find very handy is if you need something in a spur of the moment i.e. meat, fruit, pop, beer, drugstore products etc. they’re only a phone call away, neighbourhood mom/pop stores will deliver your order.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you know what I mean?

Exactly. Run out of something and they will bring it over fast.

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you know what I mean?

I can imagine how hilarious it was to watch your lazy Help work harder than she ever has before. Good for you!