We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip or Overnight in Guatape?

Chicago
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day Trip or Overnight in Guatape?

Any opinions welcome. We would like to climb the rock and does anyone have more info on the canopy/zip line?

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip or Overnight in Guatape?

Day trip is enough but would also be nice to spend overnight, depends how long a day you want. If you go on a weekend might be worth staying as lots of people around and it is a bit festive (or maybe that is not what you want). The zip line is in Guatape (the rock is a 5 / 10 ride away) on the foreshore of the lake. We stopped at the rock first, climbed it, then took a moto taxi to the town. Been a while, but the zip line was 10 k when we did it.

Chicago
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip or Overnight in Guatape?

Thanks! If I stay overnight does the bus go past the airport on the way back? (Or anywhere close) I would be flying to Cartagena the next day.

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip or Overnight in Guatape?

There is, I believe, a way to Guatape past the airport but I will have to leave it to someone else to input.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip or Overnight in Guatape?

I believe the turnoff for Guatape is at Guarne, you can grab a bus on the autopista at Guarne to MDE, or a cab, it is about 15 minutes.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip or Overnight in Guatape?

The Rock / Cable Vuelo (canopy zip line over the lake) entrance fees 10k COP

On my early morning café pilgrimages into Guatape Centro I recall seeing a local tour provider on the side street – around the corner, in the general direction where the Plaza, church, Banco Colombia meet.

If I recall the Rio Negro exit is closer > Marinilla.

I did a cheap run( under 20k cop) from Guatape – MDE earlier this year;bus Guatape - Marinilla - colectivo - Rio Negro - bus - MDE. The road to Rio Negro joins the main highway at the junction - Guatape, buses/taxis/colectivos stop here to pick-up/drop passengers. The hourly buses pass through Guatape on the way to Medellin; the last bus from Guatapé to Medellín is at 6:30pm (7:45pm on Sundays and Holiday Mondays). Return buses to Medellín fill up quickly on weekends – buy your ticket in advance. Our trip took around 3 hours, you could speed it up by taking a taxi from Rio Negro – MDE.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 22:49
Chicago
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip or Overnight in Guatape?

Thanks! Am I able to buy a round trip ticket or do I have to get one in Guatape?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip or Overnight in Guatape?

>> Thanks! Am I able to buy a round trip ticket or do I have to get one in Guatape? <<

Sorry not sure what you mean by that, perhaps you are referring to MDE transportation to/from Guatape - MDE, this can be done on your own or you could ask at the airport tourist information booth for additional recommendations. Maybe in your case a taxi to the Guatape highway exit - then wait there for a bus - Guatape.

8. Re: Day Trip or Overnight in Guatape?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Medellin