We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pesos

Which Medellin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Save Topic
Pesos

I'm arriving 7:00 pm on a Thursday at MDE, how do I get pesos?

Oxnard
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pesos

Hi,

When I go, I simply use my debit card at an ATM. Before you leave, you should probably contact your bank and make sure you can withdraw money from your account while in Colombia, check if there is a daily withdrawal limit, will there be a transaction fee and if so how much, and I also notify them when I will be in Colombia so that if they see lots of withdrawal activity they will know it is me and not someone illegally depleting my account. Of course, use your security common sense and precautions when using ATMs anywhere.

I believe there are also currency exchange booths in the airport that will exchange your currency for pesos, but you will most likely not get the best exchange rates. And please don't exchange money with someone walking around offering to exchange your currency for pesos--it's a scam.

If you find yourself unable to obtain pesos and you need money urgently, I suppose you can always resort to having money wired to you? Hopefully you will plan ahead and you won't need this option.

Hope this helps.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pesos

There are ATMs at MDE, try them first, if or some reason your card doesnt work there is also a money exchange, but dont change to much - better rates once you get into Medellin,

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
274 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pesos

Must mention that I have traveled many places in the world, have used many different ATM and credit cards, hands-down my CapitalOne CC consistently provides the best rates both for ATM withdrawals and purchases.

Just yesterday I examined my statement from my most recent 2 weeks in Colombia (Medellin) and was reminded of the good exchange. Yes you MUST contact your bank or CC before you travel and give them your travel dates and countries to be visited.

Have fun!

PS - Almost sounds like I am a CapitalOne salesmen, no I just understand and appreciate great exchange rates!

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pesos

I agree about Capital One...although I've found their customer service to need improvement. A lot of folks have long standing accounts and don't want to change banks. Call your bank and find out the rates. In many cases those rates aren't fixed. Rather than risk losing a long term customer they can often offer a better deal on the spot.

Honolulu
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pesos

What if your Bank charges $5 per international withdrawal? I'm sure the ATM will also have their own fees as well? Would the rates still be better than exchanging your US dollars somewhere in Medellin...

Thanks

6. Re: Pesos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 05:16