We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish and Dance classes in Medellin

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Topic
Spanish and Dance classes in Medellin

I am very excited about my second trip to Colombia. The first time I went to Cartagena and I had a great time there. This time I am going to Medellin.

I will be in Medellin for 11 days towards the end of November. During my time in Medellin, I would like to the following

1) Learn Spanish

2) Learn some dance (like Salsa)

3) Explore the local food, culture and music

This is my vacation time. I want to do all this for enjoyment and I don't mind splurging a little. Needless to say, I am looking for Spanish and dance tutors and also a guide who can show me around. If one person could do all this it even more awesome.

I would very much appreciate an useful pointers or information

thanks

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,808 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish and Dance classes in Medellin

Yadria at the blacksheep hostel for Spanish lessons.

NY
Level Contributor
152 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish and Dance classes in Medellin

For dance, www.academiabailalatino.com/medellin/#page-1

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish and Dance classes in Medellin

You can do a little preparatory work; maybe a few Spanish or dance classes would help you, however it's more about immersing yourself. It's not as easy as booking a tour...perhaps that special person isn't a teacher...

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish and Dance classes in Medellin

Thanks Bicks _medellin and BobMyr for your responses. Playa4u, I agree, the special person does not have to be a teacher. Like I mentioned in my post, I am coming to Medellin to immerse myself in the local culture. I think learning Spanish and going to the local dance clubs is one way to do it. That is why I want to learn the language and the dance. Also, I will be learning something new. If I can find a guide, or friend to show me around I would love that as well.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish and Dance classes in Medellin

There are a number of good salsa clubs in Medellin, stay out of Lleras area, try to get a little local advice as where to go, many will have classes once a week at around 7pm -

Have to been to ones in Barrio Colombia, Laurales and Centro - all fun but more importantly, lots of friendly girls/ women who like to dance and would be more than happy to show you a few steps.

Stay away from the twenty somethings ask women 30+ women to dance, the Colombian guys will be pestering the younger ones. But in general Colombianas just like to dance, no matter your skill or age. And of course being a gringo you will be a little more popular.

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,808 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish and Dance classes in Medellin

Federico is another great teacher, fluent in English as well, like Yadira. His school is located next to Park Lleres in Poblado on Calle 10. Last time I was there he had links to Dance Classes and also limited tours (ie Santa Fe / Guatape).

www.colombia-total.com although changed it to medellinlanguageacademy.com If you look on the ''what we offer''' page you will see spanish + Salsa + tours.

For tours, an English speaking guide is Andres from Land Adventure travels. He goes all over the place.

Edited: 11 November 2013, 04:57
Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Spanish and Dance classes in Medellin

For Spanish Classes: livinggringo.com/2013/11/study-spanish-medel…

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spanish and Dance classes in Medellin

Not sure if pimping your own website is allowed here - my suggestion would be to make a suggestion or two and then say to look at your website for more info if needed - but just to post the link without a constructive comment is taking advantage of TA

9. Re: Spanish and Dance classes in Medellin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 November 2013, 02:12
NY
Level Contributor
152 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spanish and Dance classes in Medellin

I think this ebook may help answer some of your questions: medellinliving.com/medellin-travel-guide/

My only criticism of the book is that a few too many times it touches on the "how can a gringo meet a Colombian woman?" theme. However, most of the book contains information I felt was helpful for a first-time visitor. Better than Lonely Planet.

Get answers to your questions about Medellin