We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Medellin (for the "Silleteros" Festival!)

Which Medellin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Medellin (for the "Silleteros" Festival!)

Traveling at the end of July/beginning of August and looking for advice about where to stay (apartment), places to visit, day trips, other things to do, where to eat. I'm traveling with the family (2 teen kids and my mom). Also, I'll be going to Tolu from Medellin. No idea how to get there with my kids/mom. Please advise.

PS my kids would like to do rafting if possible

Many thanks,

-MaLu

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,386 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Medellin (for the "Silleteros" Festival!)

There are a few agencies that rent apartments managed by expats - a little more expensive.

Try

firstamericanrealtymedellin.com/aptlistings.…

www.paradiserealtymedellin.com/rent.asp

There are also aparthotels with a kitchen and with breakfast included available near to Park Lleras

Kids can raft at Rio Claro; about 3.5 hours form Medellin. Only grade 2 though I think.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Medellin (for the "Silleteros" Festival!)

Hi, I am negotiating an airbnb apt in the Poblado near Plaza San Lucas (no cheap)... but has a pool and it looks like it has nice greenery around it. Is that a nice neighborhood (it looks so)? How about transportation? Will I be depending on taxis for any move (not my preference)? Although I don't want my kids in a zone surrounded by bars and night clubs.

Also, please recommend key things to do in Medellin and one or two day trips.

Thank you!!

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,386 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Medellin (for the "Silleteros" Festival!)

San Lucas is an up market area in Medellin. Not somewhere that I would ideally look for to stay as a tourist, however taxis etc are very cheap in Colombia. Plaza San lucas is up the hill sort of near the El Castillo Building (worth a visit|).

Personally, for me; I would stay near to Oviedo / Santa Fe mall or along the strip towards Park Lleras (which is the restaurant bar area - however right next to it are very nice upscale areas) or in Patio Bonito Area. You can walk around Poblado comfortably from these without negotiating to much of the very steep hills in the area.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Medellin (for the "Silleteros" Festival!)

Thanks Bicks. I found another beautiful (With pool) apartment near El Poblado but no at walking distance. Cheaper. Are you familiar with "Retorno Al Sur"? Any feedback would be appreciated. The host sounds like a very nice, helpful person. A lot of other people have across very flaky.

Thanks again,

MaLu

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,386 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Medellin (for the "Silleteros" Festival!)

That is on via las Palmas I think - quite high up (if I am think of the right one - is it on / near Via Las Palmas?). You would need to catch taxis. Have you tried James at Paradise realty? He has apartments in a place called Blux which is very nice with a 5th floor pool. It is about a 15 minute walk from P Lleras, but in a quiet area. You could see how that compares.

6. Re: First time in Medellin (for the "Silleteros" Festival!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 06:18