We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone robbed, calling card to US?

Montrose, PA
Level Contributor
278 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Phone robbed, calling card to US?

My daughter is traveling in Colombia from the US. Yesterday, while in Cartagena, a guy tried to grab her wristlet and she broke free her arm free but he grabbed her phone which was in her other hand. She contacted Verizon on line to suspend her phone. She went to the police. Today she flew to Medellin. She has been trying to find out about getting a calling card so she can call Verizon (in the US) so she can file an insurance claim and get a new phone sent to her address in the US. Any suggestions on where she could go in Medellin to get a calling card to call the US? Or any other suggestions? Thanks!

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phone robbed, calling card to US?

Skype is available from an internet café or hotel. Assume she has an account; if not they are easy to set up.

She can also make calls form numerous internet cafes at a set rate; or use the hotel phone (which will cost a lot more than Skype or internet café phone).

Did she get a police report (denuncia) in Cartagena?

Edited: 01 August 2014, 23:27
Montrose, PA
Level Contributor
278 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phone robbed, calling card to US?

Thank you so much for your response. We did talk to her tonight via Skype. We called Asurion, who handles her cell phone insurance and put them on speaker phone. She was able to file a claim by communication with them via skype. They did not require a police report.

She told me the events of that night.... She was with 2 other girls around 11pm. They were taking a taxi home and he was not familiar with the hotel so he said (small hotel with 12 rooms) so he dropped them off 2 blocks f rom the hotel. As they were walking down a block, a man appeared, tried to grab my daughters wristlet (she was walking ahead of the other 2 girls) then a car pulled up and he jumped in. Obviously, they were waiting for someone to walk by. A minute later another taxi appeared andsaid he saw the whole thing and told them to get in and he was going to look for a policeman. There were 2 policeman on bikes on the next corner. He told them what happened and then tried to pursue the car. The taxi driver basically told them it wouldn't do any good to file a report. I find it interesting that the first taxi didn't know where the hotel was and that they got robbed walking the 2 blocks. Then the 2nd driver telling them it was useless to file a report. Maybe I am just suspicious. I am just glad that no one was hurt. My daughter did not want to tell us about the episode because she did not want us to worry that she is not safe. But she needed to file a claim so she told us. Every summer she travels with her friends.....Greece, Spain, Portugal, France, Turkey, Italy, Thailand, Japan, Costa Rica and I am thankful that up until now they have had no situations like this. I know that we have to be aware of our surroundings no matter where we are and I am sure these girls had a real reality check as to how important that is. Sorry to go on and on!!!

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phone robbed, calling card to US?

Sounds like a setup. Usually insurance companies require a police report - glad you (she) got through it without one and without getting hurt. Where did it happen out of interest? Getsemani?

Montrose, PA
Level Contributor
278 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phone robbed, calling card to US?

They were staying at Patio de Getsemani on Calle del Pedregal 26A-79. So the taxi would have dropped them a couple of blocks from there. Is that considered an unsafe area?

Montrose, PA
Level Contributor
278 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phone robbed, calling card to US?

Received an email from my daughter today and she told me that the driver that picked up the guy who stole her phone was actually a taxi.

UK it's a OK
Level Contributor
375 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phone robbed, calling card to US?

First time I've ever heard of an insurance company who will settle a robbery claim WITHOUT a police report? If word gets around it might be an insurance company that goes bust very very quickly.

Reporting the crime to the police might not be much use in terms of recovering the stolen items but if the police are ever going to do anything to prevent such robberies in that particular area then they need to be informed of them.

Montrose, PA
Level Contributor
278 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phone robbed, calling card to US?

I am not sure why the insurance company did not require a police report. My husband explained to them where my daughter was when the incident occurred, etc. so perhaps there are cases when they do not require one.

A different taxi did see the incident and got the attention of 2 policemen who were on the next block and they attempted to catch the original taxi. I agree my daughter should have filed a police report and she will in the future.

8. Re: Phone robbed, calling card to US?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Medellin
Recent Conversations