We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety for americans

boston, ma
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
safety for americans

never been to colombia and coming from USA< any safety issues going through bogota and or staying in colombia...thanks

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Ontario
Level Contributor
7,511 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety for americans

Hi!

I'd encourage you to check out the U.S. Department of State website link below. It should take you straight to the Colombian advisory.

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_941.html

Kelly

NBF
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety for americans

This may come as shock to you but the USA is the best friend Colombia has so you needn't worry. Just be a little careful with the Hugo Chavez gang if you go Venezuela.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Madison
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: safety for americans

Are you just going thru the airport in Bogota, or spending some time there? Are you talking about staying in San Andres or other places in Colombia. I have been to Colombia many times with no trouble. There are certain precations you should take just as you would in going anywhere. A little more info and I may be able to help you a little more.

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
San Andres
San Andres
San Andres Island, Colombia
Colombia
Colombia
South America
NJ
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safety for americans

My wife are I are considering going to San Andres in February. We've never been to Colombia, but have been to a few other places in South America, and travel frequently.

Unfortunately, as an American, the only thing I hear about is how Colombia is so dangerous.

I can't find anything that makes me believe that San Andres is dangerous, should I be concerned?

Also, we're flying from New York to Bogota, then on to San Andres. We aren't spending any time in Bogota, just a connection.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
San Andres
San Andres
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety for americans

jimk: if you fly to Toronto, you could book an all inclusive vacation at any one of 5 Decameron Hotels and a direct flight, through Nolitours. Just google a Toronto travel agent and book through them. Flights leave every Thursday nov. thru apr. San Andres is wonderful, no crime and easy to get around.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Decameron San Luis
Decameron San Luis
1,773 Reviews
San Andres
San Andres
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,176 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety for americans

We spent a short week on San Adres last January. We flew from Cartagena (where we also spent some time).

Although my time in Colombia was very limited, I have to say that San Andres feels far more like a Caribbean island than it does a part of South America.

Beautiful beaches, brilliant blue water. Cheap food and drink.

I don't think we spoke to one other American the entire time we were on the island. We weren't at one of the Decameron resorts though, so that might have made a difference. We did meet several very nice couples from Argentina, also some friendly Italians.

It was a good trip, but next time, we'll spend more time on San Andres' 'sister' island of Providencia and less on San Andres. Providencia is like taking a step back in time, the way I imagine the Caribbean was 30 years ago. Amazingly beautiful and undeveloped.

Mentioned in this post
Cartagena
Cartagena
Cartagena District, Colombia
Colombia
Colombia
South America
San Andres
San Andres
Caribbean Island Hotel
Caribbean Island Hotel
164 Reviews
Decameron San Luis
Decameron San Luis
1,773 Reviews
Providencia Island
Providencia Island
San Andres and Providencia Department, Colombia
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Brampton
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safety for americans

You fly directly to San Andres and don't go anywhere near Bogota if you go with Nolitours as SlicRick says. If you take the time to actually look and see where San Andres is on a map, you'll understand that although it is politically "Columbian' it is actually physically much closer to Nicaruagua.

Be pleasant and kind to the folks on this island and you will have no trouble. Remember that it is a Caribbean Island and runs on Caribbean time meaning be patient LOL.It is not yet polluted with tourism and therefor the poeple are genuinely nice and generous of spirit.

Mentioned in this post
San Andres
San Andres
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Caribbean Island Hotel
Caribbean Island Hotel
164 Reviews
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
hamilton
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: safety for americans

San Andres is more of a safe place to be. I just got back in nov, and it was great. I think you are better to fly out of toronto. I check american airlines out of buffalo airport and i couldn't beleave on the flight time, 20 hrs! I guess that how's it goes in the states, you hop scotch around untill you get there. Toronto is a direct flight, and you will be enjoying your vacation in less then 5 hrs. And it's a lot cheapier. And if you are looking for safe places to visit, check cuba varadero out. You can also fly out from here even cheapier.

Mentioned in this post
San Andres
San Andres
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Brampton
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safety for americans

LOL

Americans have to fly out of Toronto to get to Cuba. They can not fly directly to it.

Cubans are very friendly towards Americans despite past history. It is the governments that have issues, not the people

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
NBF
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safety for americans

jimk29 if you are going NY to Bogota I would then go Bogota to Cartagena and forget about San Andres. There is no safety issue in Cartagena and you are right on the Atlantic with a beautiful historic city to explore, great hotels and fine dining. The long and short of it is people do whatever fits their budget and taste so in the end the decision is up to you.

Mentioned in this post
Bogota
Bogota
Colombia
Cartagena
Cartagena
Cartagena District, Colombia
San Andres
San Andres
Get answers to your questions about San Andres Island