We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decameron San Luis

Oshawa ontario
Level Contributor
61 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Decameron San Luis

There is only one review of this hotel on trip advisor, which is a sentence long and describes the hotel as a disgusting one star firetrap with drug paraphenalia on the beach.

Can it be as bad as that? The pictures I have scene look like it is a quaint 3 star property with a terrific beach. I am not looking for luxury at all but I don't want a spring break hell hole either. I am looking for a safe environment, and a solid clean 3-3.5 star status. Will I get this ?

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Decameron San Luis

We visited the San Luis one day on a tour around the island. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't stay here. The food wasn't at all good and it did look pretty run down. I wouldn't feel very safe staying there. The beach is accross the street in front of the Regee Bar but nobody was swimming in the water. Very rocky. I said we stayed at the Aquarium and there was a review of the Marazul, as well, we did visit it on our tour of the island. I would recommend very much that you stay at the Marazul or the Aquarium but I think the Marazul might be more for you. Please forgo the San Luis. It is what that review said.

Toronto , Ont.
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Decameron San Luis

My wife and I just came back from one week stay at the Decameron San Luis . We enjoyed every day ! The Hotel complex is kept superclean and safe ! The rooms are small but comfortable and exeptionally clean . The sevice friendly and the food plenty and good. The personel clean and very helpful . Everyone handling food wears facemask and rubbergloves. We eat and drank everything , exept tap-water , and had no ill-effects whatsoever. The three pools are cleaned twice daily and the water ist crystal-clear . The beach is beautiful and kept reasonably clean . Of course you may find some garbage , but where do you not find it ! The "huts" , usually with four or more seperate rooms , are well kept and most colorful !

Sure , the Island is very poor and when you wonder off , you may find things you do not like . But if you stay in the compound of the Hotel , you are safe and you can enjoy every day ! We took a tour of the Island with a very nice , clean , and friendly cab-driver , with a well-kept and spotless clean car . He showed us the Islans , drove us , wherever we wanted to go , he explaned everything to us an we had over four hours of a wonderful and enlightening afternoon . And it was not at all expensive .

So , if you want big rooms , marble floors and stairs and a six star Hotel , go somewhere else !

For the money we spent , we got more than we expected and we sur will go back to Decameron San Luis !

Dr. and Mrs. H.F. Vogl , Toronto

Jan. l2. 2005

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,148 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decameron San Luis

Hi! I stayed at the Aquarium last year and I'm trying to get back there for February but it's 100% booked. We are considering the San Luis as we did see it and it was quite nice actually..the one negative I heard, that perhaps Dr. Vogel could comment on, is, that it was full of younger kids (teens and partiers).

Dr. Vogel would you mind commenting on this please? Thanks so much!

Also, I have read numerous times that the 3000 and 5000 blocks are the best to stay in at the San Luis?

Cathy..the Marazul is also very nice but approx. $300 more for the week. It's been written that they had the best food of all 5 properties.

Thanks!

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,148 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decameron San Luis

Sorry Dr. Vogl it would help if I spelled your name correctly. I do apologize for the oversight.

Oshawa ontario
Level Contributor
61 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decameron San Luis

To WIBS. I have heard that The Isleno is the best choice rather than the Marzul. Small hotel across from the best beach, close to town, great staff. But very limited facilities, bar (1), restaurant (1). If you want tropical ambience and not looking for a mega resort, check out the Isleno. You will not find partiers here. Mostly couples...

The San Luis has a lot more to offer in terms of restaurants and bars.. You can expect partiers at this hotel and any other, they seem to be every where but unlikely to ruin your vacation

Oshawa ontario
Level Contributor
61 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decameron San Luis

We have decided to stay at the Isleno. After weighing all the factors, we have picked Isleno. March 28-April 4. See you there.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
896 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decameron San Luis

I stayed at the Isleno last March 2004... We ate at all the different Decameron resorts... Food was very good at all of them... My husband who is somewhat of a "picky" eater... never complained once.... We did a walk around of each place when we visited and noticed that the grounds were very clean....Cathy... which ever resort you decide on... it will have some pro's ... some con's... Remember you stay at 1 and can use the facilites at the other 4...

Toronto, ON
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Decameron San Luis

Hi Cathytravels,

The Isleno actually has 2 restaurants.

The Buffet restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner is outdoor dining, behind the hotel in a beautiful, courtyard setting beside the pool bar and pool area.

The second restaurant, serving solely dinners, is on the second floor above the lobby and has wall-to-wall windows which look over the hotel's new boardwalk and main (and may I add best on the island) beach with the added view of the island of Johnny Cay.

Get answers to your questions about San Andres Island