We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Providencia

Ontario
2 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Providencia

Will be in SAI for two weeks in February. Can a day trip or overnight to Providencia be arranged? Would it be worth the effort and the cost?

Mentioned in this post
Providencia Island
Providencia Island
San Andres and Providencia Department, Colombia
San Andres Colombia
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Providencia

You can arrange anything you want. You could have your Hotel do it or a travel agent or do it yourself. Doing it yourself is much cheaper. You can fly or take a small ferry. Flying takes about 25 min. in the air and you can only take a small bag. The ferry (Which is small) takes about 2 1\2 hours depending on weather (Great way to met real Islanders). In my opinion a day trip is a waste of time and money. Two days at the least is better. The Island is something out of the early forties. (You would expect to see Humphrey Bogart or Papa Hemingway walk by) Laid back slow nothing to do but eat (Great sea food) ((Not shipped in frozen from Costa Rico)) walk on the beach snorkel and just relax very different then San Andres. People very different there. Very few mainland Colombians no big hotels no tourist traps. 95% of the people speak English. The Island is what San Andres was before the mainland Colombians came.

I have relatives there and a small fishing shack. I go there as much as my wife lets me.

Mentioned in this post
San Andres
San Andres
San Andres Island, Colombia
San Andres Colombia
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Providencia

You can arrange anything you want. You could have your Hotel do it or a travel agent or do it yourself. Doing it yourself is much cheaper. You can fly or take a small ferry. Flying takes about 25 min. in the air and you can only take a small bag. The ferry (Which is small) takes about 2 1\2 hours depending on weather (Great way to met real Islanders). In my opinion a day trip is a waste of time and money. Two days at the least is better. The Island is something out of the early forties. (You would expect to see Humphrey Bogart or Papa Hemingway walk by) Laid back slow nothing to do but eat (Great sea food) ((Not shipped in frozen from Costa Rico)) walk on the beach snorkel and just relax very different then San Andres. People very different there. Very few mainland Colombians no big hotels no tourist traps. 95% of the people speak English. The Island is what San Andres was before the mainland Colombians came.

I have relatives there and a small fishing shack. I go there as much as my wife lets me.

Mentioned in this post
San Andres
San Andres
Ontario
Level Contributor
7,434 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Providencia

I wish I could say I've been there..but...I haven't! I did a lot of reading and said that if I could get my way back to SAI (for a decent price and duration of flight time) I'd go for 2 weeks and spent 2 nights on Providencia.

Here's a site that you may find helpful. I've also read flights from $30-$60 (one way) and then the site below says $150-$180.

http://www.paisatours.com/providencia.htm

Mentioned in this post
Providencia Island
Providencia Island
Ontario
Level Contributor
7,434 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Providencia

Check out the Providencia Island section on TA. I found the first entry was about flight times $140 return.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g297480-i10757-k417…

Mentioned in this post
Providencia Island
Providencia Island
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Providencia

ENSS:

Raz pretty much nailed it .We took the plane,I liked the ferry Idea next time I'll take the Ferry there & the plane on the return.We stayed @ the Sol Caribe next time I'll try something else.I think Terry(martian) posted a place that sounded good ckeck past forums she's a reg. post.If you like to relax ,swim & snorkel this is the place for you.If you want a cheap tour of the island take the local bus doesn't do the whole Is great way to meet the friendly locals. takes you to town & a little father.Try the Yummy Rost. Chicken place as you enter town.There's also a super market if u want to stock up on goodies.The Isl. Is Small but has some small mount, that run the length of it & mre vedgetation than SA .IF you have a choice I'd spend more time there.Much less Tourists it's like the world passed it by.

Have fun,

..Playa

Mentioned in this post
Sol Caribe San Andres
Sol Caribe San Andres
1,173 Reviews
San Andres Colombia
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Providencia

Flights to Providencia are "around" $150.00 US round trip. I think the boat is $75.00 US round trip. I take the Island boat and don't pay tourist price. What ever way you travel just go. It will be a nice experience in time travel.

Mentioned in this post
Providencia Island
Providencia Island
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Providencia

That settles it Raz we'll take the ferry Rnd.trip .You know I prefer boats anways maybe we can get the Capt to crank it down a few knots and throw out a tuna bug for a spell.

West Chester...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Providencia

We are going to stop at Providencia and or San Andreas by boat on our way to Panama. Can you give me any info? Are there any marinas on either islands big enough for a 62 ft. powerboat. We will need to fuel up Diesel fuel. Can we pay there for fuel with US credit cards or change US dollars there at a bank???? Any advice would be a big help,

thanks

Bob

Mentioned in this post
Providencia Island
Providencia Island
Panama
Panama
Central America
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Providencia

Braunland:

Contact Razial I'm sure he can help you with the boating logistics around the Islands.S.A would be the better option of the two to take on fuel there probably also have a place to dock the boat there too.

As for docking @ Providencia there is a pier on the one side of the Island i'm not sure if they let transient boats dock there.There is a sheltered spot to throw the pick down @ the other end of the Island where the port Capt.is located,if you go you'll have to check in with him anyways.

Sure would like to hear more about your trip sounds really interesting.

Have a safe trip...Playa

Mentioned in this post
Providencia Island
Providencia Island
Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Providencia

Hey Razial,

About the ferry to Providencia, does it usually go everyday? My girlfriend and I are flying into San Andres on Mar 11. Then were hopeing to catch the ferry on Mar. 14 to Providencia and fly back to San Andres Mar 22 since our flight to Cartagena is on Mar. 23.

Thanks so much for the info and would be great to meet up for a beer too.

Cheers,

Dave

Mentioned in this post
Providencia Island
Providencia Island
San Andres
San Andres
Cartagena
Cartagena
Cartagena District, Colombia