We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Andres Island: September 13-21, 2012

Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
664 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
San Andres Island: September 13-21, 2012

Hi, friends!

Well it's official: I will be visiting San Andres Island from September 13 to 21 this year! The airline tickets are purchased and the hotel reservations are made.

Razial has pointed out before that not a lot of Americans travel to San Andres. And because of that fact, I have found that a lot of the information contained here on the San Andres forum is a little old.

So, I want to know the secrets of San Andres: Where is the best place to rent a golf cart? Who has the best bar? Are shorts and t-shirts the best clothes to wear both during the day and at night? Do I need to wear water shoes when snorkeling or visiting El Acuario? Can I expect good weather? Where is there a supermarket on the island and what is its name? Any litle tidbits of information from anyone would be helpful!

For the record, I am a single male, 37 years old, and will be staying at a bed and breakfast away from the downtown area. I do not want to eat microwaved food at the all-inclusive resorts everyday, I want to sample the authentic (Raizal) side of the island. So if anyone knows the best places to eat and drink each day, please let me know that, too.

Looking forward to the trip!

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: San Andres Island: September 13-21, 2012

Tough call Jason...does the Brazil beach have a name?

I heard Recife has a lot of cultural significance or Fortaleza and even Bahia are all excellent choices. Perhaps putting a post on the Brazil forum could help find an ideal City with nice beaches and good weather. Realistically November or early December would be less busy and costly; my Brazilian buddy says anywhere North of Rio is dry in those months.

Have a good trip!

Carleton Place...
1 post
Save Reply
22. Re: San Andres Island: September 13-21, 2012

Hey we are from Carleton Place Ontario, and are looking at going to San Andres in Februrary. Not too keen on doing the all inclusives, all though have done many, want to try it "on our own" We are looking at renting an apartment on the beach, which look fabulous, do you recommend this as a great idea. Alway enjoyed the all incluvises in other countries, but this deal on a rental has come up. Your thoughts and advise would be greatly appreciated!

Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
664 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: San Andres Island: September 13-21, 2012

@Randy M -

Let me preface my comments by saying that I wasn't too impressed with the all-inclusive places on San Andres Island. Many on them looked ragged on the outside, and if you check the comments about them here on TripAdvisor, you'll find that they are all a little hit-and-miss.

If you have a specific rental in mind, I'd say go for it. Just make sure you check out exactly WHO you are sending money to and renting from.

Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: San Andres Island: September 13-21, 2012

deleted...wrong thread

Edited: 13 December 2013, 15:38
Ottawa
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: San Andres Island: September 13-21, 2012

Well most are three star which is the norm for hotels on San Andres. We have stayed at the Decameron San Luis and found they are very nice for a three star. There is no marble surroundings, the rooms are okay, but who stays in a room as long as you can shower and sleep ok which is what we found. The food was good, not 5 star material, but we never had any issues with the food, and that would be for all the Decameron hotels in San Andres. The booze suxs but I wasnt there for the booze. The beaches just down the road from Decameron San Luis was great, not a lot of people and beautiful water and snorkelling was good too.

26. Re: San Andres Island: September 13-21, 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2014, 05:20