We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back From San Andres Island September 2012

Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
801 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back From San Andres Island September 2012

Hi, Friends -

I've just returned from a vacation on San Andres Island. Here is some information that I hope you find useful:

1) I stayed at Playa Tranquilo for eight nights. My positive review of this hotel should be posted by TripAdvisor very soon.

2) The tourist card for San Andres Island is $25, and needs to be purchased at the blue service desk in the circular Copa Airlines boarding area at Tocumen Airport in Panama City, Panama.

3) Taxis on San Andres Island cost 20,000 COP to go anywhere. The price increases to 25,000 COP starting at midnight, but I was changed the 25,000 COP rate by some taxi drivers as early as 10:30pm.

4) You need to purchase a ticket for Johnny Cay at Tonino's Marina for 4,000 COP. The round-trip boat ride to Acuario, Haines Cay, and Johnny Cay is 15,000 COP, with boats departing between 8:30am and 9:30am. A boat ride to ONLY Johnny Cay costs 12,000 COP and leaves the marina at 10:00am.

5) You can rent water shoes (needed because of the coral) at Acuario for 5,000 COP. You can rent an umbrella with two chairs on Johnny Cay for 20,000 COP. Fried fish or grilled meat/beef with shredded cabbage, coco rice, and fried plantain patties at La Islena Restaurant on Johnny Cay is 20,000 COP. A can of Coke Zero on Johnny Cay is 3,000 COP.

6) San Luis: At San Luis Village Hotel, beside Donde Francesca Restaurant, it is possible to rent a cabana with 2 chairs on the beach for 40,000 COP. However, you are then given a credit of 30,000 COP to use in their La Pergola Restaurant for drinks and meals. Coke Zero = 3,000 COP. Chicken with rice and fried plantain patties = 22,000 COP.

7) Great meals were had at Mister Paninos, Miss Celia's, Gourmet Shop Assho, and La Fondita Islena. At Miss Celia's, try the Tipico Montanero. At Gourmet Shop Assho, try the angus steak entre. At La Fondita Islena, try the rabo (cow's tail).

8) There is a small supermarket in El Centro to buy almost anything: Super Exito. The La Fondita Islena restaurant (entres for around 12,000 COP) is located almost directly across the street, and is owned by the same folks who own Miss Celia's.

9) Cocoplum Beach and Rocky Cay: Hidden gems of San Andres Island! A great snorkeling alternative to Acuario. Chairs/tent rental for 15,000 COP, lockers to store your stuff for 4,000 COP. Good food available and also jet ski rental available.

10) I did have some insect bites around my ankles on the beaches of San Andres Island.

11) I exchanged USD for COP at the airport on San Andres Island. I received 1730 COP for each dollar, and had to provide my passport and give a thumbprint. That exchange rate wasn't too bad, considering that the official exchange rate was around 1800 COP for each dollar, as given by oanda.com.

12) There is an exit survey conducted in the terminal while you are waiting for your flight to leave San Andres Island. The survey is voluntary and not mandatory, and you can choose not to participate.

13) There are three houses of ill repute on San Andres Island: Sexy Bar, The Reef, and Elefante. I was told that Sexy Bar was the best and that rates were 70,000 COP for 1 hour at Sexy Bar. However, I found the rates to be between 100,000 COP and 150,000 COP for 30 minutes, with prices much higher to take a lady to your hotel. A fun little place with beautiful ladies from mainland Colombia (Cali, Medellin, Bogota, etc).

14) A special thanks goes to Raizial and playa4u, who both provided great advice to make my vacation to San Andres Island a great one. Vincent, I'm sorry I didn't call you when I got to the island, but once I got on the island my head was spinning with how beautiful your home is out there. I hope every American someday gets to experience the beauty of San Andres Island and the wonderful friendliness of the people who live there.

San Andres Colombia
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back From San Andres Island September 2012

weatherman196,

Glad u had a nice experience. Thanks for the informative positive, and truthful report of your trip. Prices have gone up a bit here and sometimes tourists price and Islander prices are different. Therefore you can try to bargain at the smaller places, taxi rides etc. My best advice is to try and find a local (Raizial one over 40 ask them if they are a Raizial) then let them tell you the history of their Island ) Then ask them about places to go especially non tourist spots. 99% of the people that visit here never get to experience the real flavor of this place it's being absorbed by Colombia and Colombian culture. The native people are what makes this place so wonderful. When that's gone it will be another Orlando or Miami beach.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back From San Andres Island September 2012

Really great report, Weatherman. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Cheers,

Terry

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back From San Andres Island September 2012

Brilliant report big guy, happy to hear your trip was successful. You got a lot accomplished, another tick off the bucket list…

Harlingen, TX
Level Contributor
801 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back From San Andres Island September 2012

@Razial:

I had a wonderful time. Everyone, from the locals in La Loma to the Colombians in El Centro and on Johnny Cay, were always smiling, friendly, and having a great time. And I still can't believe how absolutely crystal clear the water is out there. I could always see from the surface to the bottom in every boat that I was in. You are truly lucky to live out there!

@Martian24:

No problem, glad to write it to help other travelers!

@Playa4u:

Thank you. I had A LOT of fun! And I spent a lot of money but it was definitely worth it. I'd go back right now if I had the time...And money!

San Andres Colombia
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back From San Andres Island September 2012

The island is a hidden gem. If you stay away from the tourist traps you can spend a lot less money and see the real Island. For example there are many little hotels starting at $25.00USD a night in Raizial family type hotel (which speak English) homes you can eat at local places for $3-5 USD a meal. You can rent a golf cart an get a local boy to show you the non tourist spots. Many options other then the expensive tourist places.

Alaska
Level Contributor
25 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back From San Andres Island September 2012

We will be on the Island first week in December and are looking for a month rental. Something small, quiet and inexpensive. If any out there know a Hosteria or Apt., please let me know.

Thanks

7. Re: Just Back From San Andres Island September 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 14:17