We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm coming to San Andres this week!

dballisloose
3 posts
Save Topic
I'm coming to San Andres this week!

Hi everyone, thank you for all of the great posts and information posted in these forums. I've read several and it has helped prepare me for my trip. Some background on me: I'm 35, married to a Colombian, living in California. I love Colombia and go back at least once a year. Never been to San Andres and looking forward to spending Christmas there.

We are renting an apartment. It sounds like there is an Exito where we can shop for groceries. It sounds like golf cart rentals are available at Esmeralda's (where is that?) and in El Centro. Snorkeling gear is available at the dive shops.

It sounds like some of the more interesting places to snorkel are San Luis near the West View Restaurant, and if I want a tour, that I should call Ilse or just go to one of the dive shops.

Question, nobody said much about mosquitos and insect repellent. Are there many on the island? When I went to Cartagena and Santa Marta this time of year, its very windy and so not too many mosquitos to worry about.

What is the best way to get a "locals" view of the island? My wife and her dad are from Bogota and haven't been to San Andres in many years. It would be nice to get some of the culture and cultural history of the island, to balance out the time being totally flojo in beach chairs. Speaking of which, are there specific places you recommend to get a cabana/umbrella and chill, maybe where I can order aroz coco y mojarra frita for lunch nearby?

dballisloose
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm coming to San Andres this week!

Also, someone mention zip lines and eco tours provided by "Miss Behavin" tour company, but I couldn't find any information online about them. With such ecological diversity on the island, can anyone recommend a good eco tour?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
1,220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm coming to San Andres this week!

I just came back from San Andres, I visited the place last November (low season).

Best places to snorkel are West View, La Piscinita and El Acuario. West View and La Piscinita you can reach by car, El Acuario only by boat.

Mosquitos: it really wasn't a proble while I was there.

"locals" view: you may head to La Loma neighbourhood.

cabana/umbrella, chill: along San Luis beach you'll find some places like this.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
100 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm coming to San Andres this week!

Hi I'm in San Andres now. There's definitely mossies here. I brought REI's jungle juice with me, my first day i had only a couple random bites, then they discovered me day after so I have alot more bites and the jungle juice has since been put to use. I also brought malarone with me but have not taken them as read that San Andres is not a malaria area

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
100 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm coming to San Andres this week!

Hi I'm in San Andres now. There's definitely mossies here. I brought REI's jungle juice with me, my first day i had only a couple random bites, then they discovered me day after so I have alot more bites and the jungle juice has since been put to use. I also brought malarone with me but have not taken them as read that San Andres is not a malaria area

dballisloose
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm coming to San Andres this week!

Cheers mate, appreciate the reply. I'm just heading to the airport so I had time to throw some repellent in the bag. I'm bringing malaria pills but seeing as they're a toxin and the risk there is low, I'm not going to take them preventitively. How's the snorkeling?

Also I emailed Esmeralda's about a golf cart and they quoted me 100,000 pesos. I think I might be able to do a little better negotiating. Though I'm sure it's crowded this week for Xmas.

San Andres Colombia
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm coming to San Andres this week!

Not that many mosquitoes here . At night an on the beach there are sand flies that bite and suck your blood. I don't believe there ever has been malaria here. There have been a few cases of dengue fever. I don't believe the zip lines is in business anymore due to dropping a few tourists. This is not an Eco tour Island. But if you ask around you may find some local who will show you a few places in the bush but don't expect to much. Shop around for the golf cart 100,000 for 24 hours is OK this time of year but not for 8 hours.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm coming to San Andres this week!

We were on the Island last year (December) it was wet and windy. There were tons of mosquitoes not to be confused with sand fleas; these are more prevalent once evening rolls around,can be reduced by daily beach raking. Beware of golf cart renters who incorporate bait/switch tactics: we arrived at a price of 65k, we arranged for the cart to be delivered the next day, called Rente Car Perez in the morning to confirm the carts delivery; once the cart arrived the price had inflated and we sent them packing. In the end we ended up taking the 1800 peso local bus or a taxi after the bus service shuts down at 9pm.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm coming to San Andres this week!

If you can, go to Providencia. Much more 'local' and 'Eco' than San Andres since it hasn't undergone the same scale of migration from the mainland. And, it's an incredible place.

9. Re: I'm coming to San Andres this week!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about San Andres Island