We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marsol - The worst of Magdalena

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Marsol - The worst of Magdalena

Does and Dont´s.

Doo: almost everything in Colombia is great!

Don´t: Dont use the Marsol door to door minibus services. I made two trips in this service, first from Cartagebna to Taganga and Back. In the first trip the driver drove in an absolutely irresponsible and crazy way, and seemed to be sleepy. At one moment, a reckless maneuver almost triped the bus. Screams, shouting and everybody upset and frigtened. Finally we got the driver to slow down a bit after menacing him with reporting him to the police.

On the return trip, driver was a bit better but always speedy and unwise. I got on the bus and sat on my seat until i got to destination. 30 seconds after getting of the bus, I realized my wallet had slipped from my trousers pocket and inmedatly called Marsol asking them to phone the driver so I could get my wallet back (I also was the last pasenger that got of the bus), but despite calling them several times and going to their office y couldent get the wallet with my money back.

I know its also quite common they lose your bags, and they dont give you a legal tiket or note for the ride nor for the bags. My advice: dont use Marsol, go to the bus terminal and use the more known and responsible companies as Brasilia and other ones I dont remember. Marsol really sucks!!!

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marsol - The worst of Magdalena

Welcome to Colombia; not all bus drivers are good -for them time is money...

You could email your quejetas to the Marsol brass or roll your dice next time & take a bus.

Imho Taganga sucks too!

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marsol - The worst of Magdalena

I had a good experience with Marsol and the door to door service. But it depends on the driver..

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marsol - The worst of Magdalena

Sure, bus drivers and colectivo drivers are nuts. If you can't deal with people driving too fast, Colombia is probably not the right place. Ever taken a taxi in Colombia? They all drive like they're rushing their wife to the hospital to give birth. It's either live with it, or go somewhere where people drive nicely.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marsol - The worst of Magdalena

Are public transport drivers any better in Argentina, most countries have good/bad drivers; surely bad transport drivers aren´t unique to Colombia. Take for instance taxi cabs in Bogota, considering the amount of traffic, poor road conditions and the inherent necessity to swerve to avoid overly aggressive drivers they get the job done rather efficiently.

Surely all of us have noticed the” how´s my driving stickers” on the back of public transports vehicles; basically most transport vehicles have company particulars printed on the inside of the bus for you to copy. Again I suggest you contact the company to voice your complaint; given several complaints the company may reprimand the driver.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
723 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marsol - The worst of Magdalena

In a dozen or so trips to Colombia, I've had one scary bad driver, that was in Cartagena (he fell asleep and ran up on the curb). But I recently had to ask a taxi driver in Denver to slow down and stop tailgating. So I don't know that it's really fair to say that drivers in Colombia are particularly scary or bad (or that you just have to "deal with it" if you visit latin america).

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marsol - The worst of Magdalena

Hi everyone, I want to make some comments about the above posts...

I'm from Argentina and I have travelled extensively South America... irresponsible driving is common everywhere but that is not an excuse, education campaigns, fines, control and public pressure are the way to change this, and it works. Corrupt police, corrupt public officials and "it's the same everywhere" is the way for everything staying the same way. I drive car myself and have a license for about 35 years, so I know what I'm talking about.

I did complain to Marsol, with a written note and I have a signed copy.

My complain is not only about the driver but about the semi-legal way they work. They don't give you a recipe or note, so if something happens you have no proof of having travelled, nor do they assume any responsibility about your luggage.

7. Re: Marsol - The worst of Magdalena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Santa Marta