We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Upgrades

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Free Upgrades

I am heading down to Trump Marina tonight to celebrate Valentine's Day with my boyfriend. We are staying 2 nights and I would love to get a suite. Any advice on how to get a free upgrade? We will be arriving late this evening.

Thanks!

Central NJ
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free Upgrades

You might try saying " I would REALLY appreciate it !" while keeping your open wallet in view . But I kinda doubt it if you don't have a players card with some good level of play on it .

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Free Upgrades

I do have a Trump Marina card. I usually get free rooms Sunday through Thursday and I have a discounted room tomorrow night.

Central NJ
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free Upgrades

It won't hurt to ask !

Lumberton NJ
Level Contributor
662 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free Upgrades

You have very little chance of a suite. What I have done before is to explain what the "special night" was for and when I handed the counter person my card I would have some cash folded up under it and asked for the best that they could do. Once in a while you get a suite, (I never got one on a weekend) but you always get a good room with a view.

I always use at least a $20.00

Good Luck!

USA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Free Upgrades

The old $20 tip at check-in may work, but I doubt you will get a suite. You will be competing with others who are there to celebrate Valentines Day, as well as the weekenders (for your Friday night stay). It is tough getting a room on the weekend in Atlantic City and getting it at a reasonable rate). Since you will be staying on a Thursday night when it is not as busy, you may be able to request a suite for tonight and then move to a normal room for Friday night.

It is worth a shot, but do not give the $20 unless the front desk can meet your request for a suite. Always have a $5/$10 ready as a backup if they are able to semi-accommodate you (room view).

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free Upgrades

It was a number of years ago at Trump Marina that we got the room of our lives! We'd just spent about 10 days on vacation with our 3 young kids and had managed to sneak away for a quick overnight to AC. We got to the Marina late in the day (after 6) and were waiting in line behind a cranky old ladies who was the proverbial squeaky wheel. She complained about everything, wanted everything she could get for free, and generally gave the girl at the check in desk a hard time for the entire time she was dealing with her.

When we were finally called up we gave the girl a big hello and she commented that we seemed to be in a great mood. We explained that we'd just spent 10 days on vacation with our 3 kids and were enjoying 18 hours of "our time". She was very pleasant and when she handed us the room keys said, "I think you'll like this room."

When we got off the elevator we followed the signs and started towards the room. As we headed down the hall we realized we were way down the hall. That seemed to be our luck back then and we laughed wondering how close to the end we'd be. Turned out we were at the absolute end. We could not believe it when we opened the door and found we had a full suite overlooking the Marina! Two bathrooms, a living room with wet bar, dinning room and a bed room with a king sized bed!

We've had some nice rooms in the years since in AC and Vegas, but nothing will ever beat that and all we did was be happy when we checked in! As they say, you never know!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free Upgrades

Frank... Sometimes it does happen that good things happen to good people!

It's amazing what being friendly and pleasant will do for you! <grin>

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free Upgrades

It really is Bud since some folks go to AC with such a chip on their shoulders and what you gonna give me for free because I deserve it attitude!

9. Re: Free Upgrades

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Atlantic City
Recent Conversations