We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlantic city vs Ocean City vs Cape May...where to stay?

Florida Native
Level Contributor
122 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Atlantic city vs Ocean City vs Cape May...where to stay?

My son is due to graduate from the Coast Guard Academy in early August and due to the high gas prices my husband and I are considering flying in the night before graduation and getting a rental car and driving to Cape May the day of graduation...Anyone have any ideas about the best way to plan this trip?...Perhaps, I should say most cost effective. It seems, most all of the still available hotels I viewed on line that are in Cape May are full or on the high side..ie $300/night.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlantic city vs Ocean City vs Cape May...where to stay?

You must remember that what you are looking at is a resort area in the middle of their 3 month season when you will (1) pay top dollar, (2) be looking at perhaps a 2 or 3 day minimum stay, or (3) be full.

Where are you planning on flying into?? Perhaps one of the chain type motels outside of Atlantic City might be a better place to look. The ones on Route 30 are off the Garden State Parkway Exit 40 - Cape May is exit 0.

Central NJ
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlantic city vs Ocean City vs Cape May...where to stay?

You might try a place near Stockton College . About an hour from Cape May .

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,221 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlantic city vs Ocean City vs Cape May...where to stay?

First congratulations to your son on his graduation and thank him for me for his service to our country.

If you are flying into Atlantic City or even Philly for that matter, there is a Days Inn on Tilton and Fire Roads in Egg Harbor Township that is within feet of exit 36 of the Garden State Parkway. You would be taking the Garden State Parkway no matter where you stayed to get to Cape May which happens to be at the end of the Parkway so you would have a 36-40 mile drive to the Coast Guard Base. Not knowing your dates I checked the Days Inn web site and rooms for Friday -Sunday The first wekend of August were $140 on Friday, $189 on Saturday and $66 on Sunday. This is a no frills hotel but it appears from the outside to be well maintained and in a safe area. There is a diner in front of the hotel called the Shore Diner which is a very good and cheap place to eat. I go there 3-4 times a month. Its about a 15-20 minute drive from the Days Inn to Atlantic City if you wanted to check out Atlantic City while you were in the area.

Keep an eye on Spirit Airlines that fly from several locations in Florida for some specials, you can sign up for email alerts. I got a flight to Fort Lauderdale last year for just $8.00. ACY is a great place to fly into, baggage handling is the best and they do have some rental cars at that location also, though they tend to be a little expensive compared to other locations.

Toronto Ontario
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlantic city vs Ocean City vs Cape May...where to stay?

I've stayed at that particular Days Inn 5 or 6 times and it is just fine. They have won a Day's Inn Chairmans Award many times. Their complimentary breakfast is excellent with a huge range of available choices and the place is spotless.

Now we go on bus trips so we stay on the Boardwalk, but I have only good things to say about the Days Inn in Pleasantville. They have a large range of discounts AARP etc so you might get a better rate.

The Shore Diner is good, Jerry. I don't blame you for eating there so often.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlantic city vs Ocean City vs Cape May...where to stay?

Hi & Congrats!

I stayed at Jersey Cape Motel once when I had to wait in Lewes, DE thru 3 Cape May - Lewes Ferry crossings [I had ferry reservations, but the line to enter the parking lot took 1 hour, so I entered too late]

and drank too much at the land & boat bar and was unable to drive upon Cape May arrival. map here …yahoo.com/p-hotel-12309875-jersey_cape_mote… ] It is a spartan motel, but is inexpensive and REALLY convenient to Cape May, the above mentioned Cape May - Lewes Ferry, The Cape May zoo & the Lobster House [excellent seafood http://www.thelobsterhouse.com/ ]

I's just outside Cape May, basic motel, little amenities [I don't recall if they even had a pool], but close to where you need to go. It was in the '90s, paid $120 for a Saturday night on Independence Day weekend [it fell on a weekend that year] It was a 'suite' - meaning it was largest room they offer - and was only available as the cheaper rooms were already taken.

One note, the female owner is Christian and her personality struck me as similar to a nun. This did not bother me as I had 12 years of Catholic schooling, but upon check-in I opened the Bible expecting it to read 'Placed by the owner' on the inside cover instead of 'Placed by the Gideons'

Jersey Cape Motel, (609)884-7382.

Get answers to your questions about Atlantic City