We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to AC

Seaford, NY
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving to AC

I went to AC yesterday with my sister. I live in NY on LI and it can take anywhere from under 3 hrs to 3.5 hrs on a normal trip. This weekend it took 5 hrs going and 4.5 hrs coming home. We encountered terrible traffic on the belt, garden state parkway (I have never had any traffic on the gsp) and the parkways on Staten Island.

Did anybody encountered some horrific traffic this weekend going to AC?

Central NJ
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to AC

weekend traffic is beachtown traffic . Seaside , Point Pleasant , LBI , etc. You should arrange to hit Outerbridge after noon , and leave AC after 9pm .

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to AC

During the summer months the only way to go down the Garden State Parkway is to be well aware of the check in/check out times of the shore rentals. Most rentals end between 10AM and 11AM on Saturday morning and most rentals seem to start at 2PM also on Saturday. That means that unless you head down to AC early on a Saturday (and by early I mean 6-7AM at the latest) you will end up in lots of traffic. The same thing heading north on the GSP....the late afternoon is much better that late morning.

We also travel from LI and hate both the Belt Parkway and the Staten Island Expressway. We go down the LIE to the Midtown Tunnel, across Manhattan on 31st Street and into the Lincoln Tunnel to the NJ Turnpike. Going across town early on a Saturday is a very easy task and we find that at most times of the day we prefer this method as opposed to going all around Brooklyn and through Staten Island.

Seaford, NY
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to AC

Next time I go I will have to try the LIE way. It really wasn't the quanities of the cars on the road that caused the problems, it was the accidents that everyone stopped to look at.

Going we left at 2:30pm and coming home we left at 3:00pm

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to AC

Traffic on the GSP starts to back up around 10 am on Saturdays, and stays heavy until late afternoon. Coming North on Sundays, the later in the afternoon you leave the worse it will be, especially when the weather is really nice. It must be a real drag going all the way to Long Island; I feel my ride home is too long and without delays it's just over an hour!

LuvBreezes

LI
Level Contributor
646 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to AC

Tracy, I some times take the LIE to the BQE and go over to the Holland Tunnel, then the NJ turnpike to the GSP. It is ok to do when I leave Wantagh before 9 AM. It takes about 15 minutes more & saves some of the agrivation you are refering to as well as $8

6. Re: Driving to AC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 09:17