We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slots -- bonus choices or not, random bonuses or not?

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Slots -- bonus choices or not, random bonuses or not?

A few recent posts prompted these questions:

* Would you rather play slots that have a "determined" bonus -- i.e., three symbols that trigger the bonus? Or slots that trigger the bonus at random? Or a combo of both?

* Once you're in the bonus, what do you prefer -- a pre-determined number of free spins? A "choose the symbol for number of spins" option? Or a "choose number of spins at x multiplier"? Or a "keep choosing till you're out" bonus?

There are so many variations now! It's fun to explore and find the machines that offer the ones you like best.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slots -- bonus choices or not, random bonuses or not?

I like the ones that don't have a pre-determined number of bonus rounds, even if you can re-trigger the bonus. I think waiting to see how many free spins you get makes it more exciting. I really don't think it matters though. I think once you get a bonus the slot machine probably already determined how much cash you will win before the spins begin. I've won more at times on 10 free spins then on 30 spins on the same machine.

I do like the ones that has the three symbols to get the bonus. I think that's part of the fun watching the three symbols appear.

Daytona Beach...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slots -- bonus choices or not, random bonuses or not?

Like Jerry said I think once you go into a bonus round the machine already knows what the outcome will be...however, I like the games that have a few different type bonus rounds..like the Texas Tina game..different bonuses for different symbols .. makes it a little more fun to watch for the various symbols.

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slots -- bonus choices or not, random bonuses or not?

I like them all and I especially like the ones that allow me to win!

I sometimes laugh out loud when I hit one of those completely random bonuses that make the enormous racket -- like Monopoly-- "It's raining money!":)

I agree that the bonus win is predetermined.

NJ
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Slots -- bonus choices or not, random bonuses or not?

Bonus rounds with 10 or 50 or 100 free spins (with possible re-triggers) are not predetermined.

Each spin is independent of the last and the next.

Ex: In Eagle Rock you get 6 bonus spins.... If during those 6 spins you accumulate 4 "salmon" you get six additional spins. The first 6 spins are NOT mapped from the start to give you a certain total win and exactly X number of salmon..... it happens randomly spin by spin.

Lawrenceville NJ
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Slots -- bonus choices or not, random bonuses or not?

Last time I played the 2x-3x-5x penny machine where you need to catch 3 "Supers" to trigger the bonus. I re-triggered the bonus 3 times in the bonus game for a total of 40 free spins. In my usual fashion, even with all those spins-I kid you not, I got zip! 0 bonus won! So, I kinda feel that on some games the amount has to be predetermined OR and I tend to believe this too, I am just one of those people who give off a "loser" vibe and the machine just knows it somehow and eats me alive! LOL. Its a good thing I accept this as a fact when I play or I would be one of those people that go ballistic and start pounding the machine and sharing their disappointment and anger with all those in earshot. I hate that!Have you ever had that slot neighbor? Grow up or go home I want to say to them but with my luck they would punch me right in the kisser...

Sorry, getting off topic.-That's a new topic in itself"Big angry babies who play slot machines"

Bethany Beach, DE
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slots -- bonus choices or not, random bonuses or not?

wythany,

I like the slots that are not pre-determined like in DE with the Video Lottery Terminals.

I want to play slots that give the player the chance to choose the box for how many spins or retriggers during the game.

Remember the Live Lobster game we watched and it kept giving the respins with each added locking wildcard? That is my favorite types of slots. I see more of the locking wild card slots like Black Knight or Rising Fortunes each time we visit AC.

Good Luck!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Slots -- bonus choices or not, random bonuses or not?

None of the spins/win are determined until the spin is initiated. How much you hit is completely random, just like every other spin. Some games will put in measures to prevent you from going on forever (for example, Great Wall where you can win additional free spins on the Yin Yang bonus, but the number of free spins decreases as you progress through). Other times it's just luck. Like White Water where the bonus is retriggered when you get four guys on the raft, they may add in additional symbols to make it more likely to retrigger in a bonus, but the number of spins isn't known until they're actually spun.

Personally I like bonus rounds that are initiated by something set (three symbols). It can be annoying if you keep getting the first two and not the third, but that's what I personally find more exciting. Once the bonus pops up, I like being able to pick. My favorite bonus for this reason has to be Jade Monkey. If you can get 10 free spins for two picks, two additional picks, a 2x multiplier, and a bonus Wild symbol, you can make out really well. That's 25 spins at 3x with a bonus wild. Not too bad.

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slots -- bonus choices or not, random bonuses or not?

Some of the machines that trigger the bonus with three symbols will give a scatter pay when you only get two of that symbol. It's like a consolation prize, and I like that rather than some other scatter symbol.

9. Re: Slots -- bonus choices or not, random bonuses or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2009, 05:18