We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxes and fees on comp rooms

new york
Level Contributor
686 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Taxes and fees on comp rooms

Does anyone know why Harrahs properties charge $13 a night pn a comp room while their competition such as the Borgata charges $5 a night on a free room. Is there any legitimate reason for this or is it just a HARRAHS ripoff of their customers by charging a supposed tax which they then pocket?

Stafford, VA
Level Contributor
3,077 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxes and fees on comp rooms

They will comp the 13/night for you if you are LFB, RFB, or ask your host nicely. Or, you can apply comp dollars toward it.

I think Borgata's is just under 7 dollars, like 6.97 or 6.98, but never got it comped.

Maybe Harrahs charges more because they comp it for so many people?

Bethany Beach, DE
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxes and fees on comp rooms

I stayed at Trump Marina the past year and the tax was $5.

conn
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxes and fees on comp rooms

but HET gives you free parking and the Borgata charges your $5. NJ gets its money one way or the other.

ALEXANDRIA
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxes and fees on comp rooms

HET charges for parking for non card holders and sometimes gold card members. Borgata black card holders don't pay for parking.

I wish I knew why the difference in room taxes. I've tried looking it up online but can't find an explanation posted anywhere.

NJ
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxes and fees on comp rooms

There is no legit reason. HET charges more b/c they can and want to.

BG charges a more reasonable $5 which anyone can use comp$ for.

Stafford, VA
Level Contributor
3,077 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxes and fees on comp rooms

I stayed at Borgata in Nov and was charged 6.98/ night and they did not let me use comps, she said taxes and gratuities were the 2 things I could not use comps for. I am staying at the Water Club Friday the 29th, I booked online and it also says 6.98 will be charged to my cc, who can I talk to to get it comped since the host said no?

NJ
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxes and fees on comp rooms

I have been charged $5 for some time. The $6.98 sounds familiar but from awhile back.

9 times out of ten the front desk asks if I would like to use comps to pay all room charges (incl taxes). Even when they don't ask, and I don't metion it, comps are used anyway.

Stafford, VA
Level Contributor
3,077 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxes and fees on comp rooms

Well they are still charging me 6.98 and it's the desk that told me they couldn't use comps to cover taxes or gratuities. I don't have my own host there, just asked for the host on duty and she said the same thing. I really don't mind, 6.98 is acceptable to me for a room there, but wonder why they are charging some people more than others?

new york
Level Contributor
686 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxes and fees on comp rooms

About a year ago the tax went down at the Borgata and other non-Harrahs properties to $5. I am always asked at the Borgata if I wish to use comp dollars to pay for the tax. I am low diamond at Harrahs and have not been able to use rewards credits to pay the tax at any of their properties. I am told by the front desk that this is not allowed.

Stafford, VA
Level Contributor
3,077 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxes and fees on comp rooms

I just checked my cc statement and I was charged exactly 13.96 for 2 night Nov 30th. Sounds like both Borgata and Harrahs comp it for some but not all. I have not paid anything at Het properties for years, lfb/ rfb absorb it so it never even shows up on the folio. Whether it's 5 or 6.98, I am kind of exited to stay at the water club in 2 weeks. It's the first time it came up as an online comp. Are there ice machines? I no there are no fridges and so I was hoping to ice down a bottle of bubbly in the room. It's a "no kids" weekend so I think Water Club should work out OK.