We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines strike

boston, ma
4 posts
Save Topic
Spirit Airlines strike

Been planning my first a.c. visit...supposed to fly out of boston wednesday on spirit airlines...figures, they are on strike. My GPS says about six hours...my friend says NO WAY, over 7. my other friend who is driving says he can do it in four!! Has anyone taken this drive? How bad is the traffic. We are checking out of the Hotel Friday. Should we expect to be in traffic the whole ride down 95? What time do you think we should get on the road by on Friday? Thanks for ANY help !!

Callicoon/Brooklyn...
Level Contributor
5,373 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit Airlines strike

The traffic heading to the Jersey Shore on fridays can get pretty bad. I leave Brooklyn about 12 noon and hit some traffic, but not too much. It takes me about 2-1/2 to 3 hours from Brooklyn. I'd leave around 8:30 or ( am to try to avoid some traffic.

If it is a normal weekend you'll be OK, but if its a holiday weekend.....ALL BETS ARE OFF!! lol

Bill

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,838 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spirit Airlines strike

If all roads are moving OK I guess the GPS is about right. But if I wanted to do that trip in 6 hours on a Friday from Boston I would leave about 2 am! Otherwise, avoid the NYC rush hour anywhere within about 50 miles of Manhattan. The NYC morning rush jams vary, but usually the worst are between about 7-10 am.

So sorry about the airline strike ~ Have a safe & winning trip

NY
Level Contributor
926 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit Airlines strike

Depending on time of time you get in the area; as an alternate when you get to NYS is to take 287 across to the Saw Mill River Pkwy south, turns into Henry Hudson Prkwy and that takes you to the GW bridge. The section of 95 that goes through Westchester county and the Bronx can get pretty packed and slow moving.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spirit Airlines strike

how bout the acela to trenton and train to AC from there

to get around rush hour traffic you could take the 287 at white plains over the Tappen Zee to the Garden State Parkway which is usually moving southbound (unless its a holiday weekend and everyone is heading to the shore)

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spirit Airlines strike

It sounds like the OP is planning to drive to AC from Boston on Weds, and then return home on Friday. If that's the plan, I think they could do it in normal traffic conditions in 5 - 6 hours.

Just take your time and be safe; the extra 40 minutes you might get from driving like a maniac are not worth the risk!

Cheers, LuvBreezes

Edited: 15 June 2010, 21:17
Boston
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Spirit Airlines strike

As long as you're not driving during rush hour or at peack beach times, I'd say you could do it straight through in 5.5 to 6. The route I like is 90->84->91->Merritt->Tappan Zee Bridge->Garden State->AC Expressway. Good Luck!

boston, ma
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Spirit Airlines strike

Thanks all!

8. Re: Spirit Airlines strike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2010, 08:17