We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lehigh Valley to AC-avoiding Philly at rush hour

State College...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lehigh Valley to AC-avoiding Philly at rush hour

Any ideas? I'm leaving from Center Valley PA tomorrow and need to be in AC at 6 pm. I know...horrible timing. Any suggestions on the best route to take so I'm not tearing my hair out on the surekill?

TIA.

PA
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lehigh Valley to AC-avoiding Philly at rush hour

I say leave as early as you can after morning rush hour is over. I drive down from Reading and take the Blue Route instead of the Surekill Expressway. There is some construction but it is still better IMO.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lehigh Valley to AC-avoiding Philly at rush hour

>>and take the Blue Route instead of the Surekill Expressway<< The Girard Point Bridge on I95 [near airport, heading to Walt Whitman Bridge] is under construction & there are always delays ~ last time I was on it, it was over a half hour delay. Maybe taking the Commodore Barry Bridge instead?

outside phillly
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lehigh Valley to AC-avoiding Philly at rush hour

1060 AM out of philly does traffic on the 2s. try and pick it up as soon as you can to get a sense of whether 76 or 95 is the right call.

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lehigh Valley to AC-avoiding Philly at rush hour

Surekill is (usually) at its most user friendly 10-2.

Have a GREAT trip!

PA
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lehigh Valley to AC-avoiding Philly at rush hour

You are right jmp. The radio helps me to decide which to take. And Fine Mind is correct with the timing.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lehigh Valley to AC-avoiding Philly at rush hour

For another alternate, take SEPTA to 30th St Stn & then take the NJTransit ACLine & let someone else do the driving

Pa
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lehigh Valley to AC-avoiding Philly at rush hour

We always avoid the Girrard Point bridge and 95 N when heading to AC, take the Platt Bridge with the easy merge onto the Walt Whitman by the sports complex.

NE Pa
Level Contributor
335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Lehigh Valley to AC-avoiding Philly at rush hour

I've used sidmerkin's suggested route and like it.

"Your other choice would be take the PATPK to NJTPK and got north to exit 7. This is Rt 206. Take this till it ends in Hammaton. You can then make a left on rt 30 (white horse Pike) to AC or go straight at the light and go thru downtown Hammaton to the Expressway."

Takes a little longer for me from Scranton - 3:45 vs. 3:15 (with little or no tie-ups) and it is a nice change of pace.

Edited: 12 August 2010, 14:03
Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lehigh Valley to AC-avoiding Philly at rush hour

Ring, you neglected to mention this rounte offers more chances for cheaper gas & liquor, farmstands & fastfood choices

Lumberton NJ
Level Contributor
662 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lehigh Valley to AC-avoiding Philly at rush hour

It also gives you the chance to get some of the best wings around. You can stop at the Pic-a-lily Inn. It's on 206, south of the Red Lion circle. It's right before you get to what we call Root Beer Lake. (atsion)