We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did anyone else get there TA account erased?

Boston
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Did anyone else get there TA account erased?

Hey all,

I was just tring to post a reply on the "Happy New Years" post that Dave started. When I hit submit I was asked for e-mail & password & was then linked to facebook (not a good thing imo) which I un linked imediately. I then noticed that my screen name changed from "JimmyChips" to my e-mail adderess, my avitar was gone & my contributions were gone!!!

So I'm kinda miffed as to what happened & was wondering if anyone else had this happen too.

If I can't figure it out I guess it's back to square one.

Anyways, Happy New Years to all the TA members & I wish you all many hand pays for 2011!!!

- The guy formally known as "JimmyChips"

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,835 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Did anyone else get there TA account erased?

Happy New Year Jimmy! Unfortunately, other TA members are having similar problems. The Facebook juggernaut has been connected to TA and many are very upset. Here’s a link to one recent discussion:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12104-k4113081…

I wish I could offer better news, but for now it seems resistance is futile. The collective Hive wants everyone to become cheerfully assimilated. Just look at all the people with gadgets on the side of their heads….

http://youtu.be/WZEJ4OJTgg8

I’m too bleary right now, but PM me if you need any more help turning off whatever. I might be able to offer more help by tomorrow. Anyway, I hope you have a Healthy, Merry & Winning New Year!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did anyone else get there TA account erased?

I found this link to explain how to turn this off. Its in your facebook settings.

www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_turn_off_ip

Daytona Beach...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
3,627 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did anyone else get there TA account erased?

I know I was having problems a week or so ago, but after I used the link jerrysnj provided two times on two different days, I haven't had a problem since.

Boston
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Did anyone else get there TA account erased?

Thank's for the links Dave, the first one let me know that I'm not the only one this had happened to.

I forgot all about The Borg but I used to love watching Star Trek NG!

Jerry, thanks for your link too, I did manage to de-link TA from Facebook.

My main problem is that everything has been erased name/avitar/posts/reviews the only thing that remains is the "places I've been" map which is completely correct (weird huh?).

Thanks everyone,

Jimmychips

New York, NY
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,848 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did anyone else get there TA account erased?

your original account - and all your posts - appear to still be there:

www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/Jimmychips

not being a facebook person, i'm unaware of whatever joint cookies facebook and TA are placing on your computer. but my best guess is that you've inadvertently "trained" your browser to recognize your new identity.

try logging out and then logging in again with your "old" screen name. better yet, remove all facebook and TA cookies from your browser's cache and then try signing in again.

Manchester ct
Level Contributor
624 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Did anyone else get there TA account erased?

I went and removed TA from facebook and it worked.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Did anyone else get there TA account erased?

Even though I am signed in, every time I try and post a reply I get a sign on screen. I guess it keeps trying to get me to link with Facebook. What a pain! Come on TA!!!

Boston
Level Contributor
554 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Did anyone else get there TA account erased?

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to update you all on my TA account situation. After much procrastination & thought I figured out that my TA account is linked to a e-mail account that I seldomly use so I suppose at somepoint when I was tricked into linking TA to Facebook I must of gotten logged off. That's just my theory & I got my old account back so I'm happy.

Also thanks to you all for your advise & thoughts on the matter espacially UK stages by helping me realize that the original account still existed & was not erased.

-Jimmy Chips

Boston
Level Contributor
554 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Did anyone else get there TA account erased?

Jimmy,

Your such a great guy! Lol

-JC

PS. The side effect of it all is that now I have 2 accounts but I will pretty much abandon this one.

Boston
Level Contributor
554 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Did anyone else get there TA account erased?

Opps,

I thought I wrote the last post with the other acct.