We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: Caesars 2/10/11

NY
Level Contributor
356 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
TR: Caesars 2/10/11

I guess I'll do this as a reply since I don't believe in editing much.

NY
Level Contributor
356 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR: Caesars 2/10/11

OK-so my long-awaited (since December) but highly in-doubt (due to sucky weather) trip date came without the threat of snow. Ironically, accordiing to my Academy bus driver, it HAD been snowing in Atlantic City during the night. But, NY was fine. Cold, but fine.

I got on my bus at 86th street and off we went without a hitch. I was allowed to check in early. First time in the Ocean Tower (usually I do get the Centurian but...maybe it was the very early hour). At any rate, it was a very nice room but the view wasn't as good as Centurian, which I missed a bit since I love looking at t he Ocean and really had to crane my neck at a certain angle to even get a glimpse.

But, I wasn't in the room that much.

First stop: The Wild Wild West for breakfast. I can't eat before (or during) a bus ride. So, I needed a huge cup of coffee and something sweet. Gertie's provided both. WWW was very dead at 11 AM. I ate my donut, then took my coffee and hit the slots. It was one of your suggestions that had me looking for the Wheel of Fortune Secret Spin machine. Now, I should say I NEVER win at WWW but keep trying each time I go. I sit down at the machine and immediately start getting bonus rounds. I have a policy that I cash out every time I hit anything over $40 and that money goes home with me no matter what. If I still want to play, I put in another $20. So, on that machine, I think I cashed out with 2 $40-50 bonuses. Not bad at all and it was fun.

Oh, before that, I actually had gone to a Miss Kitty machine (a favorite, even though the meowing can be annoying). I got a bonus on that one, too and checked out with over $40.

Then, Sex and the City--and, after spending more than $40--I gave up on it. I was getting bonus rounds, which was good and what kept me playing but they were piddly.

So, all in all, WWW was a winning little trip...but, perhaps upset the balance of nature or something.

Next stop: Tropicana.

Now, I think because it's been awhile since the last time I went, and because I don't generally visit AC at all in winter (early, early December was my last trip and I initially didn't think I'd go again till spring), I was over-thinking. And I had read about crime and psyched myself out. So, I figured the boardwalk was off limits. I went and got a jitney instead. But, I have to say, even though the jitney was brand spanking new and the driver was (surprise, surprise) NOT a maniac (a first for me!) , I found it creepier walking to the back (or front, YMMV) of the Trop than walking on the boardwalk. Anyway, I went upstairs and managed to just get a bit confused, direction-wise.

But, I won't do blow-by-blow details here. I will say, for all my searching for the mystery slot machine which turned out to be the Top Dollar Machine--I found MANY Top Dollar machines. And lost on 4 of them. And, I went away from them thinking...they aren't that much fun. What the hell was I going on about?

I did win on my beloved Star Wars machine and a couple of others but Tropicana put me about $100 in the losing column. After, I decided to buy some fudge for my mother and hit the boardwalk to go to Trump Plaza. And ...it was a great decision. There were plenty of people on the boardwalk. It was freezing, but not very windy so, I really enjoyed the walk.

Trump Plaza was busier than WWW and the Trop (which wasn't overly busy at all but not as dead as WWW). I left there about $50 down...I think. I don't remember. But, there was a genie machine that was fun.

My Zuess machines totally let me down this time. So, of course, I tried every one I found to see if my luck would change. It didn't. Not so much as a bonus. Not even once. Plus, I had seen a lot of videos on the Monopoly machine bonuses and never had given them much of a try. I tried about 4 of them (4 different types) and never got a bonus or a penny out of them either. They, I believe, are on my permanent hit list.

After I ran out of my alloted Plaza money, I took a quick walk in the Pier shops (NOT crowded at all) and decided to play my bus bonus and the comp slot money they sent in the mail, at Caesars. Then, I'd rest for a while before dinner and my major Caesars gambling. I ran through that money in about 10 seconds. I hate when that happens! So, I went upstairs. Rested my feet, changed my clothes and decided I was starving.

Used my comps at the coffee shop. Had a really nice chicken bruscetta wrap and some coffee and downstairs I went. It was NOT a good gambling session. Later, I thought I should have just given up and played out my remaining money at the WWW. Just didn't do well and didn't even get much bonuses. At the very end, I managed to hit a few very minor bonuses on All That Glitters and a couple of others (Miss Kitty, bless her, was another) and I finally ran out of my playing allowance. All told, I came back with half of what I brought.

Trip back was okay. Left with the 8:30 bus (stood in line for about an hour) and it was an uneventful ride home (the best kind!)

It was good. I mean, I prefer warmer weather when I can hit the beach but there is this kind of raw beauty out there at this time of year and I don't think of work or much of anything "major" when I'm there, so...it was a nice little getaway.

Oh--and one thing I absolutely came away with. NJ (or, at least, Atlantic City) could teach NY a thing or two about snow removal. That boardwalk (and the sidestreets I went down) were clean as a whistle. As I still walk over mini-mountains of filthy snow every day, I consider that quite the accomplishment.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR: Caesars 2/10/11

>>After, I decided to buy some fudge for my mother and hit the boardwalk<< Was if from Steel's Fudge? Last time I was there, I think December of 2009. But the fudge was $16lb. So you go in, spend a $20 bill, get a pound of mix & match of fudge for a gift and still have some cash left for some sweets for yourself. I guess the price per pound has went up

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR: Caesars 2/10/11

Nice report Gina, I enjoyed the read. Taking home half of what you brought is a bonus and much better than taking home nothing at all.

NY
Level Contributor
356 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR: Caesars 2/10/11

No, rship, I think it was from James. And, I think it's cheaper. I must have had slightly over a pound and it was something like $14.

But, it was good (Mom shares;-)

I'm totally okay with taking home half. You know, the way I look at it, that money was "out of circulation" so...having half of it back does feel like a bit of a bonus. Of course, you always want more but I had fun.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR: Caesars 2/10/11

Thanks for your report - you did a lot in your visit and I'm glad you got out onto the boardwalk for a stroll. Yes, the shore is different in the winter but the air is so bracing and it has its own charms. Going home with half your bankroll is a win in my book, too!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR: Caesars 2/10/11

I love the beach in the winter and we are heading down in a few weeks. It sounds like a fun trip - thanks for the report.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR: Caesars 2/10/11

>>No, rship, I think it was from James. And, I think it's cheaper. I must have had slightly over a pound and it was something like $14<< That's a good price. I'll have to remember this. I recently bought fudge as a gift from Fralinger's and I don't recall the exact price, but thought they cost more than Steel's. Also, Fralinger's didn't have as large of a selection of varities of fudge as Steel's. Steel's also offers Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans, which not only are a tasty combination of sweet & bitter, they give you a caffeine buzz and were less expensive than the fudge.

edit: I guessed Steel's as there is one very near Trop, right by the 99¢ Store and Playcade Arcade

>>But, it was good (Mom shares;-)<< Woo~hoo!

Edited: 14 February 2011, 17:08
Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR: Caesars 2/10/11

Very nice TR! Felt like I was following you around. I love Gertie's, too. Bagel with a schmear for me, but everything looks good there.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: TR: Caesars 2/10/11

Enjoyed the TR - thanks! I wonder - do you ever notice certain machines seem to be "morning" machines and others are "night" machines? Seems a couple places that I go I notice the Zeus machines are hot in the late morning and early evening. Super Hot Respin, 5 cent games seemed to hit best in the mornings before 10 or 11 and later at night. At first I noticed the trend but thought it was probably my imagination but I consistenlty lost money on them when I played at other times and won at these times.

Just wondered if anyone else noticed.

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,925 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TR: Caesars 2/10/11

NYGina ~ Thanks for sharing your TR here. The “raw beauty” of the beach and boardwalk in winter have a real beauty, a great place for a stroll. Having fun & only spending half your budget is a winning trip!

Leogirl1 ~ I know what you mean about some machines or games seeming to pay better, or not, during different times of the day. What you’re seeing is a random pattern. Don’t get any imaginary, or misguided, ideas from that. ;-)