We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some dumb questions maybe from someone considering

Which Atlantic City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Some dumb questions maybe from someone considering

We really like Vegas but are considering Atlantic City if we can score some entertainment or concert tickets when we want to come.

Questions:

~are the beaches swimmable?

~what are temps like in Aug, Sept and Oct?

~is there a 'low" season?

Anything else that might sell a few couples on coming down?

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
404 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some dumb questions maybe from someone considering

itryalot - The beaches are definitely swimmable. If there is a storm out in the ocean, watch out for undertow - there may also be large waves. Temps for August can be on the 80-90's. September can be 75-80. October 60-70 - no swimming then. Mid September can be real nice for AC.

Moorestown, New...
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some dumb questions maybe from someone considering

After labor day things slow down a bit. By Oct. it gets lighter still,especially during the week.

A.C. is a gambling,boardwalk and beach town. Yes there are some good shows/concerts as well. I like the airshows. This years will be on wend. Aug.17th. It is held along the beach/boardwalk.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some dumb questions maybe from someone considering

There is no substitute for Vegas. I'm in Pittsburgh and go to AC about every other month because I can drive there in 6 hours. It's a great place to go for a couple nights to eat, drink and gamble but that's about it. Entertainment, Concerts and Nitelife in AC aren't very good and really only exist on friday and saturday nights The beach is OK, but wouldn't go to AC just for that reason. It can't compare to the blue & warm waters of the Florida Gulf or even the beaches farther south. If I lived in Detroit as you do, I wouldn't bother with AC, stick with Vegas. Reality: "There Is NO Substitute".

ny
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some dumb questions maybe from someone considering

I agree AC is no Las Vegas but ok for a short period of time. There are some good concerts just look ahead of time to see. You may also want to consider maybe doing AC a few nights and you can always stay a few nights at one of the many beaches near the area such as CapeMay, Wildwood, Ocean City and a bunch of others which have nice boardwalks. I would definitely break up the trip and also go outside of AC for a few nights.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,363 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some dumb questions maybe from someone considering

The beachbars do close on Labor Day, but a lot of the beaches remain open [lifeguards on duty] til the third week of September. atlanticcitynj.com/visitors/…access.aspx I would say the low season is from after Thanksgiving til Christmas, after New Years til the end of February with both Martin Luther King Day & Presidents Day being big business weekend holidays

Manchester ct
Level Contributor
624 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Some dumb questions maybe from someone considering

I enjoy my time in AC just 2 or 3 days. Its fun but if I had my choice its Vegas all the way. We go because its only 4 hours away and its a nice 2 or 3 night get away thats it. We have yet to go this year but just now starting to Miss AC so Im thinking Sept or Oct if wife says yes. Either way enjoy your vacation.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,068 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some dumb questions maybe from someone considering

AC beaches are very swimable. August the weather is warm and so is the water. September weather is very nice, the beaches are less crowded since schools are back in session but there are also less lifeguards on duty. Pay attention to rip tide warnings if they are issued, usually due to hurricanes out at sea, as they can pull even the best swimmer out 100 yards or more. Most of the time though the ocean is just fine to swim in and AC lifeguards are very good.

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Some dumb questions maybe from someone considering

There are no dumb questions!!!!!

The beaches are great, I love to surf in AC!!

9. Re: Some dumb questions maybe from someone considering

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2012, 06:17