We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK to Atlantic City - which airport?

London, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
UK to Atlantic City - which airport?

Hi guys,

After going to Las Vegas last year I have been determined to return at some point - however, looking for a new experience I am 99% sure that Atlantic City will be the venue for my next trip of sin! Especially now I have been educated by the magnificant Boardwalk Empire :-)

Can anyone advise of the cheapest way to get there from the UK? Where do I fly in to? For instance is it cheaper (in general) to fly to NY than Phily? I believe both are options for contecting travel to AC?

Once I know cheapest best option to get there, I will hassle you with more questions :-)

Cheers, G

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK to Atlantic City - which airport?

I don't know which is cheaper, but I know that there is public transit train to/from PHL to/from Center City Philly tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-s301/Philadelp… & then public transit train to/from Atlantic City tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60795-c122798/Philad…

New York, NY
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK to Atlantic City - which airport?

philadelphia is closer to atlantic city, but the new york airports are often much cheaper, especially from the UK.

will you be visiting ONLY atlantic city? if so, you may wish to consider philadelphia.

if not, i imagine you'll want to spend some time in new york, in which case flying into JFK or newark, new jersey may be your best bet.

if you've never been to the east coast of america and have the time and budget to visit both philly and new york, you can purchase an "open jaw" ticket and fly into one and out of the other.

Edited: 18 May 2011, 13:57
UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK to Atlantic City - which airport?

I have done it twice vis NY and this year am using Philly

Philly is a lot easier but NY a bit cheaper and gives you the option of spending some tiime there

London, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK to Atlantic City - which airport?

Cheers guys, your comments are much appreciated.

I think I will take the option of NY as it will be a shame to visit the east coast and JUST see AC.

What transport would people recommend for getting from NY to AC?

Cheers again, G

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK to Atlantic City - which airport?

I believe a bus will be cheapest.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,267 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: UK to Atlantic City - which airport?

There is an ENORMOUS difference between AC and Vegas. Vegas has a life and energy and activities that make it a destination by itself. AC is essentially a place to gamble, and if you there in the summer, enjoy the beach. It has nowhere near the charism of Vegas. There are only a handful of shows, and choices for fine dining are limited. If you are going there with Vegas expectations you will be terribly disappointed. You will do far better in planning a NYC vacation with a few days in AC as a side trip.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK to Atlantic City - which airport?

Can you fly into Boston from the UK? If so from there you can take a Spirit Airlines flight into ACY and be just 10 miles from AC. I just took a flight to Boston on Spirit and it was $14 plus baggage and taxes.

New York, NY
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK to Atlantic City - which airport?

>>There is an ENORMOUS difference between AC and Vegas.<<

i imagine the OP knows that full well. the original question was not how do AC and vegas differ, but which airport might be the best (cheapest) to fly into?

"...looking for a new experience I am 99% sure that Atlantic City will be the venue for my next trip of sin! Especially now I have been educated by the magnificant Boardwalk Empire..."

if you're seeking a "boardwalk empire" experience, you won't find that in las vegas.

London, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK to Atlantic City - which airport?

Exactly right UKstages.

I realise that Atlantic City is going to be nothing like Las Vegas – that is the reason I want to visit! If AC was just a scaled down version of Las Vegas then there would be little point in going. Having watched Boardwalk Empire and seen a documentary on AC, it broadened my travelling mind and inspired me to visit. There will strictly be no comparison made to Las Vegas.

Interesting point about visiting NY and then going to AC for a couple of days – would I really struggle to find things to do there for 7 nights?

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK to Atlantic City - which airport?

Well, that depends on what you like to do. If you want to drink and gamble 24/7, there is plenty to do. There will be a Great American Trolley tour of the roaring '20s starting soon http://www.nbc40.net/news/17596/ excerpt: 'You can check out the tour yourself, on Thursdays only, starting June 2nd. $25 gets you on the trolley for the 3-hour tour, which includes lunch at the Irish Pub, and a whole new set of stories and facts' [tee~hee ♪ ..a three hour tour, a three hour tour ♫] Are you coming in Summer and want to sunbathe on the beach? Do you want to rent a bike in the mornings to ride the boardwalk? And Parasailing? And fishing? I Maybe renting a car for a day or two to explore

Get answers to your questions about Atlantic City