We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wind turbines open for tourists!

Moorestown, New...
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Wind turbines open for tourists!

I thought I would share an article about the Atlantic City windmills.

They look pretty cool and now you can go on a tour!

philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/20110612_A…

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,992 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wind turbines open for tourists!

Guess who went for the noon tour today. Yeah, I am sure you all know that I cannot resist anything FREE! My Sister came to visit AC and I just had to take her there today. I will post more details in the near future. Unlike me, my Sister doesn't get to AC that often, so I am tuckered out from sightseeing

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wind turbines open for tourists!

rship - Please do report on the tour experience! I love seeing the turbines and I want to do the tour. DH insists they're best appreciated from a distance (esp. once he learned what the power is used for; we hadn't known that). Hope you can help me convince him otherwise.

Dave, thanks for posting that link.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wind turbines open for tourists!

Yes, please post a review. We will be in town for a week next month and may take the tour if it is worthwhile.

Callicoon/Brooklyn...
Destination Expert
for Callicoon, Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,373 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wind turbines open for tourists!

Please post the report!!! I want to know how it was too!

Bill

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,992 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wind turbines open for tourists!

To get there, drive out White Horse Pike [take road Showboat is on and follow it out of AC]. Past the last road you can take to Borgata, the White Horse Pike is 3 lanes, keep an eye out on your right for the Humane Society & a gas station on a side access road. You pass over a small cement bridge, and bear right onto this access road & make a right at the light. We drove up to the roadside info area at about 11:58am monopolycity.com/acimages/ac_wind_mills_250.… which was deserted [just like the photo]. Ya know, we expected to see other people waiting around. I immediately begin to walk around to see if anyone is in any buildings nearby ~ locked. So we called the # on the roadside sign and were informed to drive up to the closed gate with the Stop sign on it and call THAT number. As soon as we arrived at the gate, it opened. My advice here, is drive past the roadside info center and pull up to the stop sign. If you do not have a mobile phone, there is a land line available at the gate. I found later that there is a camera of the gate on a large color flatscreen display right in the visitor's center. [Yeah, everyone already there saw us arriving 2 minutes late]

We drove up to the parking lot, going past a solar array and we could begin to smell effluvient immediately, even with the A/C on recirculate. There is another solar array above the parking lot, so you want to park under this array.

We walked into the ACUA Visitor's Center and there was about 20 or so people already inside. Some employees come along and write down your name & city give you adhesive sticker nametags for your shirts. There are freebies by the door with ACUA logo on them, like an hourglass 5 minute shower timer, a reusable plastic lid for covering half eaten soupcans, etc. I chose a pencil with paint the changes color with heat.

While the effluvient smell is everywhere, it is not rank. It is less smelly than a swamp. I would certainly not say it is a stench.

Oh and this site monitors how much energy is being produced by the solar array and the windmills. And how much is being pulled from the grid or being sent back to the grid www.noveda.com/resources/media/acuasf.htm

If I could figure out how to add an attraction or tour, I'd write up a review and add pics as I took a lot of the indoor monitoring area. Yes, I did add something... ONCE. Besides that I forgot how, TA probably went & changed their rules how since then

I am going to have to finish this later.

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wind turbines open for tourists!

Nice review so far! Great idea to add it as an attraction. Here’s TA’s link for adding a new attraction review:

tripadvisor.com/help/what_if_i_want_to_revie…

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,992 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wind turbines open for tourists!

Thanks for the link EZ. I know I did it in the past, probably 06

So the tourguide does not have a voice that carries. Even though the crowd wasn't chatting among themselves, I could not hear her unless I walked up close. So she is describing the several towns pumping stations and showing their maps on the wall that have interactive online/offline lights and I am right up front and my mobile phone goes off. [I suggest you turn off your mobile phone before the tour ~ maybe they requested it of the rest of the tourgroup while we were outside the gate & I was wandering around looking for humans]. So I turn it off, but see it's another poster calling. So I go outdoors to answer to see if there is any issues. I answer to find this poster has won $1K on a Royal Flush. I was embarassed about my phone ringing during the tour, but was happy to find there was no issues, only good news. Very good news.

The tour consists of info on the vast amounts of energy the station uses. The pumping stations in other towns that pump to it. The great reductions in water pollution achieved in the past 40 years. Not 100% of the waste is processable, this portion needs to be incinerated. When the effluvient is processed enough to be released into the water, it is pumped out to sea at Raleigh Ave [this is one of the surfing only beaches in AC].

Once she was done discussing the waste processing, solar arrays & windmills, we got to go outside. We stopped by the electric car refueling station. It does hum pretty loudly. Again I could not hear the tourguide, even up close, as she was right next to it and I was unable to hear most of it. You HAVE TO don a construction helmet to walk under the windmills. There was only a dozen helmets and plenty more people, so we had to share. The sun was in most of my windmill shots, but it was nice to get that close to them after seeing them as silent sentinels along Rt30 for the last couple years. They do make a whoosh, but everyone was excited & chatty & posing for photos, so I didn't really get to hear the windmill much, even though me & my Sister sat and listened. It was not very loud. I'll pull most of this, edit it, add photos and add it as an attraction or tour

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,992 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wind turbines open for tourists!

HI folks. This review is nothing that you haven't already read above. But there is pictures attached to the review you may like to look at

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g29750-d2178…

Daytona Beach...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wind turbines open for tourists!

Robert

that was really interesting and I liked seeing the pictures...

NJ
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wind turbines open for tourists!

Thanks rship1 - read your earlier post and decided after seeing them on the side of the road for the last few years we had to take a tour!

Free tours are given at noon every Monday and Friday thru August 29th. You do not need reservations. The gate was open when we drove in and the brouchure said to park under the solar canopy and then go into the visitor's center on the left of the parking area (by the flagpole). There were 15 people taking the tour. I was surprised to learn that the Atlantic City Utilities Authority which runs the wastewater treatment facility does NOT own the wind farm - it's owned by Jersey-Atlantic Wind and Community Energy and was built about 5 years ago. By placing the wind turbines at the wastewater facility they were able to be connected directly into the existing substation. The turbines are 14 feet in diameter at the base and 380 feet tall (which includes the 120 foot blade). That's approx the height of a 32 story buiding. There are stairs inside but no elevators! (no, they don't allow you to go inside) At average wind speed (12-15 mph) the blades tips go 120mph! The energy produced is used to operate the wastewater treatment plant and the excess goes to the main power grid. When wind speeds are above 12mph all of the electricity needed to run the plant can be generated by only 2 turbines. We asked about non-windy days when they have to buy the electricity to run the plant and were told that, on average, approx. 60% of the required electricity is supplied by the turbines each year. The guide told us that the tubines saved the ACUA $2.5 million dollars in the 5 years since they have been built. The day we were there (Friday 7/15) we heard no noise from them but we were told that on humid days you can hear a slight 'whoosh'.

Get answers to your questions about Atlantic City
Recent Conversations