We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton Luxury Liner July 7, 2011

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Hampton Luxury Liner July 7, 2011

My friend and I boarded the Hampton Luxury Liner in Manhatten on 33rd Street in front of Sabarro's (SP?) across from Madison Square Garden/Penn Station at exactly 10:11 for a 10:15 pick up. No problems with stowing luggage beneath or boarding until one female passenger started arguing with the driver about her return. We left to start the journey to the next pick-up spot close to the Marriott. Traffic was very heavy and the woman kept arguing with the driver about why she couldn't return on the bus that evening. It became apparent she had booked a one-way but she had changed her mind. The driver remained calm but told the woman to call the dispatcher. When she refused, the driver called the dispatcher on his own phone and handed it over to the woman. We pulled into the second stop at about 10:35 and the people boarded. The woman continued to make a scene, The pick up here took a bit longer but we pulled away at 10:50 heading for AC. Getting out of the city took a while but it was smooth sailing afterwards and we arrived at Resorts around 1. A Resorts spokesperson got on board and we were given a $10 food voucher which we used at Bread Sticks, and a $30 slots credit. I had booked tickets some time ago at $10 each. Yes, I have the receipt to prove it. :)

Our bus ride was one of my best rides ever. They showed a Tom Cruise film which I did not watch-- you may have seen it; it's the one in which windows blow out in extraordinary fashion every eight minutes or so -- but I did listen to a jazz station for a while. At the back of the bus they had fresh issues of two glossy Hamptons magazines as well as about 8 other newspapers and/or pamphlets. Snacks consisted of Famous Amos cookies, raspberry shortbread and Cheet-os. There were bottles of Poland Spring water and coconut water and some fruit punch. Our bus was immaculate, and the driver was great.

The only thing marring the trip was the argumentative female passenger who had been told REPEATEDLY to show up for the evening departure and then and only then could they tell her whether or not there would be space for her. She had been told repeatedly the return was sold out.

MY experience was great. If and when occasion warrants I would use this service again, but I do not see a NYC to AC trip any time in my future. As a side note, Resorts was FABULOUS! I plan to return there VERY SOON! Hope this helps.

New York, NY
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampton Luxury Liner July 7, 2011

glad to hear you had a great trip on the hampton luxury liner!

why the new thread, though? to be fair to them, i feel it should be posted in the "old" hampton luxury liner thread that contains so many bad reviews and negative comments:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29750-i78-k415713…

likewise, those stumbling upon this thread should know that there are many who have ridden the hampton luxury liner to AC recently who were not as fortunate as finemind. (details of their experiences can be found at that same link.)

>>They showed a Tom Cruise film which I did not watch...<<

as a member of the creative arts community, i find this quite troubling. if hampton luxury liner is showing copyrighted movies on board their busses, without prior consent from the rights holders and the distribution companies, they're breaking the law and could be subject to civil action and/or criminal prosecution.

showing the film on board the bus constitutes a "public performance" of the film. when you buy a DVD, it carries with it a license... and that license authorizes "private home exhibition only." if you invited all those bus passengers over to your home and had a private screening of "mission impossible," that would be fine. but as a commercial enterprise, hampton luxury liner can't show that same film to those same people on a bus without prior permission, which usually means that they would have to give a small portion of the revenue derived on that trip to the distribution company.

the penalties for not obtaining a license to show the film can be HUGE.

Callicoon/Brooklyn...
Destination Expert
for Callicoon, Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,373 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampton Luxury Liner July 7, 2011

Excellent point about the royalties UK!

Finemind, were the arrival and departure times as posted ?

Bill

NY
Level Contributor
354 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hampton Luxury Liner July 7, 2011

Glad someone had a good experience on the bus. I would take it but ...by the time it arrives, I would have been gambling a good 2 1/2 hours already (via my early morning Academy bus). I really do wish Hampton LL would have an earlier bus. Ce la vie.

Thanks, FineMind, for the review.

Farmingville, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hampton Luxury Liner July 7, 2011

I took the Hampton Luxury Liner the other week to Atlantic City. I have to say everything was excellent. I was not prepared to have power outlets available to me, I would have bought my ipad charger. Having Wi-fi allowed me to watch Netflix. They were on time both for arrival and departure. Overall I was very pleased with the experience. UK, if your upset about a bus showing a movie.. please don't look to closely at the internet. Any movie you can think of is free to download somewhere... lol. Anyways, they exceeded my expectations and I was delighted.

oxford,nc
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hampton Luxury Liner July 7, 2011

Glad you had a ggod trip.

How bout some details on your experience at Resorts if you get a chance,please.

New York, NY
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hampton Luxury Liner July 7, 2011

>>UK, if your [sic] upset about a bus showing a movie...<<

whether or not i'm personally upset is irrelevant. (the term i actually used, by the way, was "troubled," which conveys a slightly different meaning.) i don't make or interpret or adjudicate the law, and my personal opinion has no bearing on its enforcement.

i am a creative artist, however, and have very strong feelings about copyright infringement. if you had ever acted in a film or sold a photograph or written a play or composed music, you would, perhaps, feel the very same way.

the fact is that playing a movie to a bus filled with passengers is a federal crime. this would be true regardless of whether or not anyone actually watched the film and regardless of whether or not the bus company charged an extra fee for the film or for headsets. heck, it could be a bus filled with nuns headed to a convent to perform charity work and it would still be a punishable offense, if they did not obtain permission to exhibit the film.

with very few exceptions, even if a commercial enterprise legally purchases or rents a copyrighted film, it doesn't give them the right to exhibit it publicly. doing so without a license is a federal crime for which you could get up to five years in jail and/or a $250,000 fine. (hey, do you think that FBI warning at the beginning of every DVD is just some sort of practical joke?)

if you believe you've encountered an illegal showing of a copyrighted film, i encourage you to report it here:

www.mpaa.org/contentprotection/report-piracy

i also think that hampton luxury liner has taken extraordinary measures to attempt to influence the public discussion of its service to atlantic city and i take great offense at that. my personal experience has been that when they fail to provide adequate or competent service, they offer no apology and no refund. it would not surprise me at all to learn that a company as poorly run as hampton luxury liner was showing movies illegally onboard their busses.

>>I was not prepared to have power outlets available to me...<<

really?

gosh, i'd imagine it would be hard to book a ticket on hampton luxury liner without somehow being exposed to this fact multiple times. it's all over their website, the side of their busses, their promotional literature and their videos. they consider it quite a competitive advantage, although the fact is most new leisure coaches have this amenity now. i'm confused, though, because in your other post, you mentioned that you didn't even know that busses could have wifi. gosh, you seem quite knowledgeable about technology with all that talk of movies being available on the internet and such... but you never knew wifi was available on busses?

really?

all of this aside, welcome to the forum, atomspectre!

t's always nice to see first time posters with passionate opinions on hampton luxury liner. (i am now "prepared" for it and fully expect it.) i noticed you joined today and found the time to search out both this thread and another on hampton luxury liner over in the new york city forum. many new members are overwhelmed by the volume of information available on this site and you managed to find two threads on two different forums that are on a topic of primary interest for you... and you made your first two (very similar) posts just ten minutes apart. very well done, atom. bravo!

i do look forward to hearing more about your trip the other week and all your future trips. this forum is a wonderful resource with many knowledgeable people; please continue to post all your thoughts about AC here, not just your views of hampton luxury liner.

Edited: 12 July 2011, 02:13
Callicoon/Brooklyn...
Destination Expert
for Callicoon, Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,373 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hampton Luxury Liner July 7, 2011

Well said UK!

Bill

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hampton Luxury Liner July 7, 2011

Presumably they have a Public Performance License which permits the showing of movies from most studios.

Edited: 12 July 2011, 03:15
Farmingville, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hampton Luxury Liner July 7, 2011

Resorts: I'm told that they have re-done Resorts. (I've never been there before so I Can't say if it's improved or not) It was a cool place, I'm not that much of a gambler. The people there were real nice, the machines were cool. The buffet was standard... nothing outstanding, but nothing bad. (I did eat at their japanese restaurant.. that was delicious) I didn't stay in the rooms, it was a day trip.

As far as not knowing about the power outlets, honestly someone else booked the trip for me. I was pretty resistant about taking a bus. My memories of bus trips from school stayed with me. The bus was awesome though, more room than airplane, I'm 6-1.

As far as the films go, they aren't charging for the movie.. they are charging for the trip. If they were booking trips as "movie rides" with a specific movie, then I could see it. But they are just loading up DVD's that they bought. I ripped that tag off my mattress so I guess I'm a wanted man also... lol. First trip, first post.. thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm going to book my next trip to AC with Hampton Luxury Liner also.

Odd though UK, you stated "(i am now "prepared" for it and fully expect it.) " What are you preparing for? Just people laying down their opinions. I was looking up to see if I could find any deals, and went where the name was. I do some photography, and I'm really grateful when someone leaves me some positive feedback for a job well done. I think complainers speak out the most, and I did feel the need to add my two cents. I'm also the type of guy who checks in on foursquare. But that's just me.

Hopefully my next trip will be to Walt Disney World... my favorite place. (no bus though... airplane) I will probably use Mousefan Travel, as they do tons of stuff on the WDW radio show.

New York, NY
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hampton Luxury Liner July 7, 2011

>>Presumably they have a Public Performance License...<<

if they do have a site license (from swank, for instance), then they're in compliance.

if they don't, they're not.

it has been my experience that a surprising number of companies and institutions have no idea that you can't just show a movie (at a summer camp, a public park, a prison) without first obtaining a license.

similarly, many public speakers and corporate trainers have no idea that you can't show portions of a film or TV show, or a new yorker cartoon or even use copyrighted music during your presentation without first obtaining a license and paying the appropriate fees.

my experience dealing with hampton luxury liner so far has been that they are pretty clueless about most things. it would not surprise me to learn that they were one of those companies that did not know they they had to obtain a license.

>>Odd though UK... What are you preparing for?<<

if you click the link i provided earlier you will see there is another thread on this same topic in which hampton luxury liner itself repeatedly posted SPAM about its service. in addition, there were a surprising number of one-time posters who had a singular interest in extolling the virtues of hampton luxury liner's service to AC. most, if not all, were never heard from again.

the welcome to the forum is sincere and heartfelt. your honest opinions are as valid as those of anyone else. as i said before, we'd love to see what you have to say on OTHER topics relating to atlantic city travel.

i don't know about anybody else, but i think forum posts are a bit like movie reviews. after awhile, you get to know the likes and dislikes of a particular movie critic and you know how well his or her views match up with yours. so you read their reviews with a certain understanding of their body of work. when you come across a new movie reviewer, you don't really know what to make of their review... there's no context to place it in.

that's the situation i find myself in here... you popped in to say how great hampton luxury liner is and i found that... well, interesting. and that's because we've recently had more than a half dozen folks who have done the very same thing. and as i say, most have never been heard from again. so the only context your post falls in is that there have been a heck of a lot of first time posters with very positive things to say about hampton luxury liner.

geez, i dunno... it might just be that hampton luxury liner has an unusually large number of very passionate fans. perhaps your posts are indeed an honest expression of your own opinions, in which case i apologize... unfortunately, your posts may have been caught in the crossfire.

>>I ripped that tag off my mattress so I guess I'm a wanted man also...<

the end user, the purchaser of the mattress, is allowed to remove the tag. the warning tag is a consumer protection device and the warning is aimed at the merchant... it is THEY who are forbidden to remove it "under penalty of law."

Get answers to your questions about Atlantic City