We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worst time to drive to ac?

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
347 posts
1 review
Save Topic
worst time to drive to ac?

coming from ct, i believe it will take around 4 hours to ac...if we could leave CT at 3pm on a weekday, should we? or would we be better off leaving at 7pm? We obviously dont want to sit in 6 hours of traffic lol!

ny
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: worst time to drive to ac?

according to googlemaps, from ct, there are two ways to go either you can cross the tappan zee or the george washington, to get to the GW you have to travel on the cross bronx in the heart of rush hour, the tappan zee in rush hour isnt too much better. at 7 pm the traffic will have died down a little but either bridge is a nightmare. good luck. the tappan zee route is a few miles longer but i think at 7 it is a better route than the cross bronx. check the traffic reports before you leave.

RI
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: worst time to drive to ac?

The last time we left at that time (after work, about 4:30), we chose the Tappan Zee Bridge route because the GW was reported to be clogged. But at that time, any outbound route from NYC is clogged, and it ended up taking us an hour just to cross the Hudson River. We actually arrived at the bridge area at 7:30 pm. Then there is the hit or miss construction or accident areas in CT and in NY that can back up traffic for miles and miles. That said, if I really wanted to get to AC after work, I would go for it, even if it takes an extra hour. Ideally, leaving from RI at 6 or 7 in the morning almost always seems to work well taking either the GW or the Tappan Zee, since we are outbound at that time at both bridges while most of the traffic is inbound.

Tarrytown, New York
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: worst time to drive to ac?

I live in Westchester (right next to the Tappen Zee) and I can tell you the traffic is ALWAYS a mess on that bridge from 4:30pm - 7:00pm during the week. It may be better for you to try and time your arrival to the Tappen Zee around 7:00pm that way you miss the traffic leading up to the exit for the GSP. I always choose the Tappen Zee to the GSP and while it may be a little longer, there is hardly any traffic and it's pretty much a straight drive down.

Edited: 28 September 2011, 17:43
Point Pleasant...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: worst time to drive to ac?

The G.S.P. is always very busy from 4p till at least 7p southbound. Any travel to A.C. from the north schould be before rush hour 4p-7p or after. Good Luck !!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: worst time to drive to ac?

If you leave Ct. around 6:30-7:00 pm, You should miss all the traffic hotspots/choke points on the roads.....Tappan Zee Bridge/NYS thruway, Commuter traffic south on the Garden State Parkway, etc..... At that hour you should have a very smooth trip....Good Luck & Enjoy!

6. Re: worst time to drive to ac?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 20:10
Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
85 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: worst time to drive to ac?

I drive in from RI and it's really hit and miss. The best time I have found to go to AC was leaving at 3 in the morning on a Sunday, lol.

I have also left on Sat Night expecting to hit traffic and not hit anything. I've left and drove through Monday rush hour and not hit anything.

Best bet if anything is to grab a GPS with traffic updates and have it reroute you around trafffic delays, I've taken 95 all to the GW and sometimes I have taken the Merritt and cut across and drop down on the Henry Hudson and backdoor it onto the GW.

I've never used the Tappen Zee, there's so many ways to cut across to the GW in case there is an accident.

The only time I have truly hit traffic consistently was on the way home on 95 in Conn in the early teens through the high twenties on exits. I generally just take the Merritt now on the way back.

Next trip up I'm flying into Philly, it's 200 dollars more (minus gas, tolls, add the rental) But tell you what, I'm saving myself from being off the road for 8 hours and IMO it's so worth it just for my sanity sometimes.

Edited: 29 September 2011, 06:18
RI
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: worst time to drive to ac?

When SW was having discount fares of $29 from RI to PHL we were frequent fliers. Since the air fare increased to $59 and $69 plus airport fees, and the cost of a rental car increased to $250, the total cost increased to about $400, and it then made more sense to us to drive. Taking our own car provides flexibility when it comes to shopping and travel schedule, but flying and not having to make the drive through CT and NY is a real treat.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
85 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: worst time to drive to ac?

>>>When SW was having discount fares of $29 from RI to PHL we were frequent fliers. Since the air fare increased to $59 and $69 plus airport fees, and the cost of a rental car increased to $250, the total cost increased to about $400, and it then made more sense to us to drive. Taking our own car provides flexibility when it comes to shopping and travel schedule, but flying and not having to make the drive through CT and NY is a real treat.<<<

We actually snagged fares through SW roundtrip for 198 total for my better half and I flying out of TFG into Philly in November and we could of grabbed a low tier rental for only 100 dollars through I think either Thrifty/Dollar through their 'Philly City Discounts' but we got a cheap luxury deal through Alamo. I'm getting a buddy of mine to drop us off at the airport and pick us up, because I hate the obnoxious parking fees at TFG.

This will be my first time flying in, as I was completely fed up driving back from AC back in August and getting nailed on 95 with construction past the Merritt exit.

10. Re: worst time to drive to ac?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Atlantic City