We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WOW!!! Six Minutes

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Topic
WOW!!! Six Minutes

My wife and I played in an invitational slot tournament at Borgata Monday. Six minutes of pushing a button and it was over. Some fun, huh ? I couldn't help but think back on the old days when tournaments lasted 2-3 days and were spiced up with welcoming receptions, name entertainment , big bands for dancing and an awards banquet. Seemed like some of the same people attended these events and it was a great social time. Now its six minutes in a heated rush and NO....... we didn't win anything.

B.

NJ
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: WOW!!! Six Minutes

Bio- I understand why some might prefer the food, bands, banquet, multiple days, multiple rounds etc

But for me, the "Borgata Format" is the most player friendly, and is absolutely the way to go.

6 minutes, no BS, no semifinal/final rounds, no "have to be present when the results are announced" & only 30 min to claim your prize nonsense. no having to stick around for two or three or four days just to learn that you missed the money by 2 points

Thats it, just 6 minutes at the machine and I can go about my business. The results will be available by phone, email, website..... and 30 days to claim the prize at my leisure.....

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: WOW!!! Six Minutes

The winners names are already posted on the Borgata's website. I was wondering how many people participated - there are 250 winners! I was there but completely forgot about the tourney and missed it. After seeing they posted actual names, I was kind of glad since I played hookey that day!

TGIF, LuvBreezes

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: WOW!!! Six Minutes

>>>>>>>But for me, the "Borgata Format" is the most player friendly, and is absolutely the way to go. <<<<<<<

Alas, twas merely a reminiscense of another time. A time when you dressed for dinner and dance, a time when the pleasure was equally in the planning and the trip and a time when the realization was savored and filed away for some future memory when the world was not in an instant gratification mode. Remember??

B.

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,814 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WOW!!! Six Minutes

I also played, and also missed getting a winning score. A floor person said the number of players were almost 2000 per day. I agree the format was fine for a slot tournament.

NJ
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: WOW!!! Six Minutes

ok Bio- you've got me interested.... please share all details/stories you can remember about the slot tourneys of yesteryear

really, I'd like to hear more about them

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: WOW!!! Six Minutes

I remember when my parents used to head to AC for three days to play in slot tournaments. They had to buy in, but the price included the tournament, your room fortwo nights, social events, and the big awards banquet at the end that everyone got to attend. Win or lose, the banquets were the highlight of their trip, with open bar, nice dinner, door prizes, and dancing to live music. They loved them!

new york
Level Contributor
326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WOW!!! Six Minutes

Bionandy, just curious, did they have any kind of a buffet for the participants? I know it's not the kind of reception from the past that you referred to, but at the last slot tourney at Borg that I attended, they had a fairly nice buffet, with appy's, sandwiches, desserts and drinks. But I agree, the tournament is not something to build your visit around.

The Woods
Level Contributor
335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WOW!!! Six Minutes

Back in the mid 1990"s the Taj used to have slot tourneys where you would have drinks, dinner and entertainment. Does anyone remember Hearsay? He was the guy who walked around on stilts flirting with all the women!

They used Double Diamond machines and you had 10 minutes of pounding away on the max bet button. Those were fun times!

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WOW!!! Six Minutes

When I first saw the post I thought you were posting about my husband ..

Westerly, Rhode...
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: WOW!!! Six Minutes

>>>>>>>They had to buy in, but the price included the tournament, your room fortwo nights, social events, and the big awards banquet at the end that everyone got to attend. Win or lose, the banquets were the highlight of their trip, with open bar, nice dinner, door prizes, and dancing to live music. They loved them!<<<<<<<<

This was much like the tournaments I was reminiscing about. Dancing to a 12 piece group and Patti Page singing Old Cape Cod and The Tennesee Waltz. Do people still dance????? LOL

B.

Get answers to your questions about Atlantic City