We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two nights at the 'boat

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Two nights at the 'boat

A Saturday night comp found two sisters and I checking in at Showboat early Saturday afternoon. We waited for a "GREAT" room on the 22nd floor of the Bourbon Tower. Nice room, beautiful view in spite of the fact that tin foil Revel took up most of it for the little bit of time we actually saw it as the fog rolled in early Saturday evening and never left. The room - a non-smoking one :):):) smelled to high heaven. GROSS! WHY, People, why? OMG. BAD! You really need to stop. Fellow from housekeeping came and sprayed.

The bigger news of the weekend was where was a person to eat? No Canal Street, no Mansion Cafe and Napoli closed. The lack of eating establishments sent us to the DL around 7. It was okay. It was nearly empty. It was a wet noodle of activity. The food was fine. Steamed shrimp on the buffet -- not served at table. Maybe I could rustle up a little more enthusiasm if we had not stopped at Harrah's Chester where we had a GREAT buffet brunch. So the room STANK and the food options STANK. How was the gaming?

It STANK mostly. We all lost. I spent more time at the ATM in one day than I usually spend in a month at home. At least it gave me something. When there was no place to eat breakfast Sunday morning without having to miss a mortgage payment, we drove to Harrah's for a great breakfast at Sammi's or whatever its most recent incarnation is named. Got there ahead of the crowds. Had a bit o' luck. Off to Borgata at noon.

Borgata was fun. I played some new game where community gaming used to be involving leprechauns. It was a hoot, and I cashed a decent voucher. Mid afternoon we returned to the 'boat, had a drink at the Freeze Bar and I headed over to play Clue. This game allows you to lose money slowly and it is wildly engaging watching other people playing their games. Played an hour and was not down by much.

We all showered and dressed for dinner at Atlantic Grill at Caesar's where we had the prix fixe ($40 for three courses) and it was clearly the best food of the weekend: the delicate crabcake starter, the tender filet, and the most delectable chocolate truffle cake with coffee ice cream. My Oh My. A home run.

I walked the Boardwalk back to the Boat enshrouded in mist to burn off one spoonful of the truffle cake, and there was very little activity. Stopped at the Taj for a bit of gaming, then back to our stanky room where I read and counted my ATM receipts concluding that it was not quite as bad as I'd thought, but I was done gambling anyway so housekeeping came again and sprayed the room again, and eventually I fell asleep.

This morning we headed over to Bally's for breakfast and to collect some bagels and pastries before getting on the road. Still overcast/foggy and it started raining as we hit the AE. It was fun being with the sisters, but I am ticked off about all those food joints being closed, about the Pier Shops closing at 6, about my favorite sign gone missing: "Atlantic City: Always Turned On."

We have two more trips planned in June but I don't know if I love it so much any more. I am pretty sure not being able to see the ocean had something to do with it. We'll wait and see till next trip.

PA
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two nights at the 'boat

Thanks for the report. They should give a big fine to the people who smoke in the non-smoking rooms.

oxford,nc
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two nights at the 'boat

Good to hear from you,FineMind.Sorry the trip wasn't better for you.Thanks for posting.

Sounds like maybe you should have tried playing Stinking Rich-LOL>

New Jersey
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Two nights at the 'boat

We've had a few rooms that they could not get rid of the smell. Seems like the only thing that works is when you insist they change the cartridge in the A.C. unit. For some reason they hate to change them, only as a last resort.

Gibbsboro, New...
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Two nights at the 'boat

We tried the House of Blues for breakfast on Saturday. First we waited about 45 minutes for our food, pecan french toast, and Tom got a breakfast sandwich. ( one with a hamburger ) which was more raw then anything else.

Probably one of the worst eating experiences at Showboat , which is why I remember why we do not go there often.At least our drinks were okay, you cannot mess up a vodka and orange.

We do not see returning there anytime in the future at least until the Earl of Sandwich opens up.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Two nights at the 'boat

Insist they change your room if that happens again. They can also put an ionizer in the room.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two nights at the 'boat

I don't understand why they wouldn't just move your room. You noticed the smell immediately and informed them, no? Ozone machines typically do the trick but I would never put them in a guestroom while the guest still has a key to the room as they can be dangerous.

Long story short, they should have offered a room move. Especially it being early in the day...The service at some of these hotels in AC amazes me. And, on top of it you mention you're a Diamond Member - even more reason for them to make you happy!

Rich

Edited: 22 May 2012, 14:38
Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two nights at the 'boat

"No Canal Street, no Mansion Cafe and Napoli closed. The lack of eating establishments sent us to the DL around 7."

That's why I ate at House of Blues "Crossroads" 3 times on my Sunday/Monday visit (05/20 - 05/21).

Edited: 22 May 2012, 14:59
Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two nights at the 'boat

"We tried the House of Blues for breakfast on Saturday. First we waited about 45 minutes for our food, pecan french toast, and Tom got a breakfast sandwich. ( one with a hamburger ) which was more raw then anything else."

I had to wait in line all 3 times, despite the fact that there were empty tables in the dining area. Service was slow, and it was clear that they were understaffed, despite it being a Sunday/Monday?? I guess unemployment is really low in Atlantic City! (I am being sarcastic).

Gibbsboro, New...
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Two nights at the 'boat

We were thinking it might be the management. The tow is suits we saw in there looked about 15. We saw more waiters/waitresses walking around, looking confused. The couple behind us ordered fruit cups, they only had a 15 mintue wait. We also saw a line when we were leaving, but by that time it was well into lunch hour and we was a line at Johnny Rockets.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two nights at the 'boat

"but by that time it was well into lunch hour and we was a line at Johnny Rockets."

There is always a line to get into Johnny Rockets whenever I pass by it, and I only go to AC during off peak times! the line at Johnny Rockets was always longer than the line to get into Crossroads.