We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fri night travel question on garden state

Which Atlantic City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ny
Level Contributor
667 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
fri night travel question on garden state

from albany, ny taking thruway to garden state.

unfortunately, can't leave until 430pm. anybody that takes this route can you please let me know if its really backed up at this time. (hoping for the "usual" traffic and not considering accidents and such).

melissa

Atlantic City
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fri night travel question on garden state

Expect heavy traffic.

ny
Level Contributor
667 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fri night travel question on garden state

where would i get heavy traffic? just at atlantic city or from the oranges in jersey all the way down? just curious.

melissa

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fri night travel question on garden state

There is another concert festival on Bader Field this weekend. Last weekend, interactive signs on the GSP suggested drivers to take the White Horse Pike instead of the AC Expressway.

ny
Level Contributor
667 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fri night travel question on garden state

we usually take exit 40 off gsp. is that what u are talking about?

melissa

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fri night travel question on garden state

The real question is what time will you hit the GSP? Friday night you've got the regular commuters who travel from north to south plus the second home owners who are heading down from northern NJ and NY and those looking to have a 2 night stay at the shore. The bulk of the vacation traffic is on the road Saturday morning, but a Friday night in the summer on the GSP can be very difficult. Again, the real question is when will you hit the GSP? The area from about mile marker 63 to 43 is under construction right now so that can slow down traffic too. I would expect you will have significant traffic just about all the way down depending on what time you hit the GSP.

ny
Level Contributor
667 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fri night travel question on garden state

thanks frank. i would probably be hitting gsp about 6:30-7 p at about exit ?170?ish.

thanks

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fri night travel question on garden state

The part of the GSP I'm most familiar with is from about 128 on south. I would guess that by the time you get there you'll be dealing more with the folks that are leaving later to avoid the bulk of the traffic. I would expect traffic but unless there is some problem it should move. Just watch that construction zone as it will probably be dark by the time you get there and that may cause some backups. Have fun!!

Belvedere, Nj
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fri night travel question on garden state

As everyone ie telling you expect heavy traffic throughout the GSP. Friday nites during the summer are awful. . This weekends weather is going to be nice so the beaches will be crowed. Traffic will be heavy going over the Raritan toll. You'll get a little break after the toll once the traffic splits. After that its typically stop and go(unfortunately more stop than go) right on through the Toms River toll at exit 82. After that you deal with the LBI traffic and the contruction as mentioned above.

Just hang in there and try not to get to frustrated. Honestly, if it was me I would wait and leave later on. I rather travel post 9pm on a Friday nite in the summer.

9. Re: fri night travel question on garden state

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 22:17