We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 7/3 - 7/5 Revel / Showboat / Fireworks

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report 7/3 - 7/5 Revel / Showboat / Fireworks

Left out at about 6:00 pm for AC picked up my travel companion on the way in NJ and decided to take some advice and headed out Route 30 for the more scenic drive and greatly enjoyed it. It also took me out at the end of AC I wanted to go to anyway since we were staying at Revel for the night. Saw a LOT of storm damage including trees still on buildings.

Got to Revel around 8:00 and checked in at the automated check in just as we exited the elevators and it was quick/easy and were in our room in under 10 minutes of the time we parked.

Decided to get my Revel cards combined...they had given me a total of 3...after I played the free play on each one of course <grin>. And my friend got his card also line always looks long but its because their card center is poorly designed. Called another friend who was going to join us for a drink and headed to Mussel Bar and milled around a bit until a seat opened up at the Bar. Maybe I converted one more person to enjoying Youngs Double Chocolate beer, its not the second coming of beer but its a nice drink. Had our Kobe Burgers, mine was perfect my companions was undercooked but he tends to like more rare so he was ok with it. Drank a little more talked a little listened to the band that looked frightening but were singing some OLD OLDIES that I enjoyed. Friend #2 excused himself to turn in for the night and we went to the mega large restroom and noticed the storefront for the new Italian place looked done (I hear today of course its open...grrr I wanted Gellato).

Played at Xpoker for about 3 hours and cocktail service was great, cashed out when I got a single hand Royal Flush and was up $350.00. Went over for some U-Spin some penny denom Quick Hits and penny Wheel of Fortune big screen and manged to fiddle away all my winnings... no biggy I had fun and the cocktails were flowing so cashed out with my original $100 and went up for bedtime. Called down and asked if late checkouts were available and was told that they couldn't be requested until 7 am...I was a bit drunk but I made whining sounds about being asleep at 7 am and was given a 1pm checkout.

Got up the next morning around 11:30 felt pretty refreshed got up showered checked out by 12:30 and our next night (4th) was scheduled at Showboat so we moved the car over to their garage which was pretty simple. We weren't sure if we would be able to check in so we decided to go down without our luggage and saw Earl of Sandwich on the way to the desk and stopped for lunch. It was pretty tasty had their Signature Beef and Horseradish, and paid with 1:1 comps...which I verified later. The side story to this place is there was a bit of a traffic choke point because some older person was taking close up photos of that mardi gras themed wall paper they have in the hallway and of course that area is always narrow anyway and people were stopping and looking at this person taking photos of wallpaper and then to top it off The Earl had his minions out trying to drag people into the shop. So then when we are obviously going in to eat..the guy stops us..welcomes us and asks me what sort of sandwiches I like...to which my smart a$$ says "Good Ones maybe you should let us look at your menu" not sure why that put me off so bad but it just seemed like such a ridiculous question if I have no idea what their menu looks like and all I have to do is take a step forward so my old man eyes can see it. Sodas are the killers here by the way $2.50 for a 20oz bottle I get that is what places charge anymore but its out of line in comparison to the rest of their pricing...we didn't notice there was fountain soda till we got through the line. Still it was only 22.00 for of us and that included 5.00 for soda. Good job on bringing in something good Showboat and extra extra Kudos on making it 1:1.

Went ahead and tried to check in since there was basically no line and got a Bourbon Tower room, went back grabbed luggage and checked in. Went over and met some friends nearby at the pool and hung out there for a few hours which was very pleasant..the day was just awesome...perfect temperature nice breeze. But it was time to head out to Ballys since we had the invite to the Fireworks Party and had Reservations at The Reserve.

Walked the beach all the way down from Showboat to Bally's...the beach is looking good in spot but its oddly lumpy in some spots. Had one drink at Bally's Beach Bar but it was just too crowded and loud so we went inside. Saw the Dealertainers at the escalator and were having fun trying to guess which one they were lol...of course my friend asks one if he was supposed to be Wilford Brimley (he wasn't a dealertainer lol) he did resemble a celebrity more than any of the others in my friends defense. It was amusing to us drunks anyway :P

Pre-registered for the Fireworks party...no line got our armbands and headed over to The Reserve about 15 minutes ahead of reservations and got a nice window seat. Service was good..had their special Kobe Hangar Steak with Wasabi mashed potato's and it was G O O D! Only drawback of the meal was creamed spinach was inedible (WAY WAY over seasoned) but it was a very minor drawback would go back again.

Got in line for fireworks at about 8:15 they were already letting people go up and were taking us in groups of 8-10 up the service elevators to the Spa Deck. They had tables and chairs setup several open bars, waiters, a buffet. The buffet was usual fair hamburgers, shrimp, hot dogs and a number of other pretty middle of the line but tasty looking cookout type food. We had already eaten but enjoyed the open bar and everyone seemed to be enjoying the food. They initially had speakers with local radio for the fireworks show turned WAY too loud but they adjusted to a nice, I would dare say perfect level. There was maybe 200 people up there but the area was big and it wasn't crowded feeling at all. Stood up and had PERFECT view of the barge letting off the fireworks. I honestly didn't notice much difference between this show and the show they have done the last couple years but it was good and I enjoyed the accompanying music from the radio broadcast. After the show we stayed up there milled around and there was a lovely breeze so we stood over the ledge and sipped our drinks and watched people in traffic and the hordes on the boardwalk.

We left when they literally threw us out lol and made a drunk dial call....sorry for the non coherence of that call person who received the call.. and watched as people were taking with them the flowers that were in the table that honest to god looked like grave marker arrangements.

Got in line for a cab which took a while due to everyone trying to get everywhere and rolled back into showboat and bee lined for the 12 bar. Met a nice couple there and played and chatted till about 3:00 am before we stumbled upstairs. I had actually somehow managed to play myself $20 up at JOB.

Called down for late checkout and was given a 2 pm checkout..one word of warning if you do Showboat Late checkout which I have forgotten to mention in the past...but to the operators credit she told me...your keys may not work after 12 pm despite the fact you have gotten late check out. It can be an important safety tip!

Over all the Ballys Party was very well done and organized and I would definitely do it again in second.

Only other tidbit was while we were playing video poker at Revel my friend got up to use the restroom and I was watching his machine and a guy immediately tried to swoop in and cash him out. All I had meant to do was swing my hand out to say that the seat was occupied but I apparently punched him in the stomach quite hard, he mumbled something about my mistake and went on his way LOL. I didn't realize how hard I hit but he seemed in pain and I have a huge bruise on my hand ...instead of upsetting me it actually makes me laugh every time I think about it. That guy was NOT expecting that response.

Drive home was uneventful if depressing as we sunk into the heat . No big wins but no big losses though...I like leaving with the same money I came with and all my meals were paid for with comps so that was even covered.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
224 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 7/3 - 7/5 Revel / Showboat / Fireworks

Hi Jimk - great report! Sounds like everyone had a great time :) and I liked how watched your friends machine! That guy won't bother you again :) thanks for posting

Edited: 07 July 2012, 00:12
new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 7/3 - 7/5 Revel / Showboat / Fireworks

Thanks for the nice report for your interesting trip.

I’m not one to shy away from trying something new, but there are a few things I always thought shouldn’t be mixed, like mustard on ice cream—or chocolate with beer! But now you, he-who-won’t-be-named, and a few others have convinced me to try that chocolate beer. ;-)

oxford,nc
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 7/3 - 7/5 Revel / Showboat / Fireworks

WOW.Great and informative TR,jimk.

Good info on Earl of Sandwich.1 to 1 is good news and I never drink soda in AC.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,804 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 7/3 - 7/5 Revel / Showboat / Fireworks

>>Maybe I converted one more person to enjoying Youngs Double Chocolate beer<< EZDave, I think you should be the convert. C'mon. You know you want to try it

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 7/3 - 7/5 Revel / Showboat / Fireworks

OK rship ~ But I think you know I never drink soda if at all possible!

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 7/3 - 7/5 Revel / Showboat / Fireworks

OK guys, I will try that Double Chocolate Beer. Am I correct what y’all had at the Mussel Bar was bottled—or could it have been a draught? I see it in cans near me, and hear mixed views if those are much different, but I hear it is nice on ice cream?

Thanks for the good news about Earl of Sandwich. Now that might be nice if I could bring a chocolate beer for my sandwich at Earl’s!

Keep Cool Everyone

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,804 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 7/3 - 7/5 Revel / Showboat / Fireworks

I don't reccomend this beer on ice cream. It's a dark beer and it has a cocoa flavor that counteracts the bitterness

theperfectlyhappyman.com/uploads/youngs-doub…

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 7/3 - 7/5 Revel / Showboat / Fireworks

So you had it from bottles?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 7/3 - 7/5 Revel / Showboat / Fireworks

They have it in Bottles at Mussel Bar.

It used to be on tap at Firewaters in Tropicana.

Cans give the inevitable can taste which doesn't bother me but it does bother others a lot.

Edited: 08 July 2012, 02:04
new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 7/3 - 7/5 Revel / Showboat / Fireworks

Thanks again Jim for your clear & informative read & I agree with your beer comments. I will have to try a few. ;-)

Now if only we could get some Czechvar in AC!

www.beermenus.com/beers/czechvar

www.czechvar.com/index.html