We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madona at Boardwalk Hall

New York
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Topic
Madona at Boardwalk Hall

Does anyone know what one wears to this concert? Since it's such a big venue, are jeans ok or do most people dress up? (Gosh, I hope not)

GardeniaPalm
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madona at Boardwalk Hall

Jeans are fine.

New York
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Madona at Boardwalk Hall

Great! You made my day:)

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,989 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madona at Boardwalk Hall

This performer does not like air conditioning. Denim is a heavy fabric. I suggest you wear lighter clothing to be comfortable. Did you pack your swimsuit?

New York
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Madona at Boardwalk Hall

rship1 - Swimsuit? Is part of her act filling the venue with water? LOL

New York, NY
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,791 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madona at Boardwalk Hall

i thought the show was great, BUT madonna didn't take the stage till 10:30 PM. (the printed showtime on the tickets was 8 PM). there was an opening act (a DJ, believe it or not) that didn't go on till 8:30 or so... and he played for about 50 minutes... and then there was another hour or so wait until the actual concert began.

the show itself was largely fantastic. its weakest points were the opening numbers, in my opinion. (they did a 4 song arc that was like a staged mini broadway musical - sorta kinda - with a gangster/moll theme and a lot of gun imagery and simulated violence... a lot of video images of splattered blood... i thought it was an odd way to begin a big concert, frankly.)

the rest of the show was great... she did a lot of stuff off her new MDNA album, but a fair number of the old hits... but reinterpreted in a new way. the physical production (sets, lights, costumes, video screens) was great and one of the largest and most ambitious i've seen in years. i walked by on friday and i saw that there were 29 (!) trucks used to transport this show... i had never seen anything like that!

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madona at Boardwalk Hall

We were there as well. Apparently, most people know that Madonna never starts until at least 10.pm. Somehow I never got that memo. I was a little ticked, to say the least. Many of the people sitting near us were none to happy either. I was absolutely sweating like crazy. (no, it wasn't a 4 hour hot flash) By the time she finally got on stage, I was ready to leave. It really did leave a sour taste in my mouth. Although the production was amazing, I felt it was a little too much "show" and not enough "substance" if that makes sense. It was the last night of our vacation, and I really regret wasting it. :(

New York
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Madona at Boardwalk Hall

To SBDriver - I agree with you. I thought it was very disrespectful to her audience to start 2 hours later than planned. Also, having 7 star seats, i.e. just a few feet from the stage, I was going deaf from the loud music. The production was very elaborate but I was disappointed in the show. I didn't like all the blood, guns, and reference to the violence. Had I paid for these tickets ($357.00 per ticket!) I would have been disappointed. But since it was free, oh well.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Madona at Boardwalk Hall

We were there as well and overall, thought she was fabulous, but this was my least favorite of her last three shows. I had read reviews of her Philly and Boston shows so we knew that she wouldnt come on until 10pm. Very odd though that that has become her 'standard'. If that's the case, then her tour should book a real opening act instead of using a DJ as filler - although I did enjoy the DJ for the time he was on.

The production of the show was impressive, but i thought most of it was kind of 'dark'. She didnt get into high-energy until her last two songs, which was my favorite part, but then it was over.

9. Re: Madona at Boardwalk Hall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Atlantic City