We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Borgata Buffet or Showboat Buffet

Which Atlantic City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Topic
Borgata Buffet or Showboat Buffet

I know everyone is going to say that the Borgata Buffet is better. I love that buffet, the selection might not be as big, but the food is fresh and of great quality. But this year, my group is looking to stay on the Boardwalk for a buffet, they don't want to go over to the marina area. They also love crablegs, which the Borgata does not offer. I was shocked to see that Showboat's buffet is pretty much the same price as the Borgata's. If we go to Showboat during their Sunday crabfest, will we be disappointed?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Borgata Buffet or Showboat Buffet

The quality has slipped a bit at the Showboat. I wasn't impressed at all my last 2 trips there. All buffets are hit & miss, sometimes they are good, other times they are aweful. Reality, the Showboat buffet isn't close to being in the same league as the Borgata.

PA
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Borgata Buffet or Showboat Buffet

If they want to stay on the Boardwalk then Showboat is your best bet. Don't go the Taj. Their crab legs are so skinny it isn't worth your time.

New York, NY
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Borgata Buffet or Showboat Buffet

borgata definitely has an infinitely superior buffet.

but no crab legs.

and its not on the boardwalk.

one thing in showboat's favor for the sunday buffet - which includes crab legs at both lunch and dinner - is that sunday is not a "coupon day" for most people. (showboat tends to "dumb down" its buffet on those days when they have a lot of people eating for free... lower quality items, more filler, more hot dogs and hamburgers... that sort of thing.)

so, while it isn't the borgata... you seem to know what you're getting into... and i think you'll be fine.

Edited: 20 September 2012, 03:00
Middletown, New York
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Borgata Buffet or Showboat Buffet

Does anyone know which days of the week the "coupon days" usually are for the Showboat buffet? Would like to avoid it on those days. We have eaten there a few times, usually on Friday nights and they have had crab legs and they were very good. Did not like the lobster when they still offered it, it was terribly overcooked.

NJ
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Borgata Buffet or Showboat Buffet

BG buffet....... its a quality thing

New York, NY
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Borgata Buffet or Showboat Buffet

>>Does anyone know which days of the week the "coupon days" usually are for the Showboat buffet?<<

showboat "coupon days" are generally tuesday and wednesday, although a small number of players might have seven day access, depending on where they are in the marketing cycle and which offers they've received.

if there is a very long line on a weekday, particularly off-season, chances are they have a lot of coupons out there.

Middletown, New York
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Borgata Buffet or Showboat Buffet

Thanks so much UK. We do prefer the buffet at the Borgota, I love the lobster ravioli and the sushi and my husband loves the desserts, the little cannolis are great!

new york
Level Contributor
684 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Borgata Buffet or Showboat Buffet

I ate at both the Borgata buffet and Showboat buffet this week. It is worth a trip to the Marina area as the Borgata Buffet was excellent as always and the Showboat buffet was not good. I was not there on a coupon day so they were serving steak but the steak was all inedible gristle. Another example is that the Borgata serves prime rib whereas the Showboat serves poor quality steamship round roast beef.

new york
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Borgata Buffet or Showboat Buffet

The Showboat buffet is terrible...really terrible. It used to be so much better a few years back, not sure whats going on with them...

Borgata on the other hand wins my vote.

Dingmans Ferry...
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Borgata Buffet or Showboat Buffet

Been to both.. Borgata gets it hands down above all else but if want to venture elsewhere avoid Showboat, got crab legs & I paid extra @ Showboat for lobster addition, in a word very disappointed...we arrived at opening time and expected food to be hot..warm was an understatement, for what we received..returned food to be HEATED..steak too...if looking for crab legs call Bally/Caesar's Boardwalk Buffet or Harrah's Waterfront buffet to see if they have crablegs on the menu for day of your visit, if so ..go there, sometimes both chilled and steamed are available ....plus at Borgata & Caesar Boardwalk Buffet/Harraha's buffet personnel gives a damn and do not ignore you or empty food trays. Showboat did not cut it, IMHO !

PS nobody out shines Borgata desserts..nobody !! Enjoy !!