We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buffet Tipping

Point Pleasant...
Level Contributor
712 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Buffet Tipping

I've eaten at the Harrah's Buffet 6 or 7 times in the last two months and have observed, in my opinion a disturbing trend. People not tipping at all or tipping very little. Last nite ate by myself and observed table of 4 next to me left $5.00. Last week had a nice conversation with a couple from Ohio and they left nothing. How do u guys feel?, does the buffet server deserve less then a server in a sit down restaurant or do u tip the normal 20%.,and does the fact that the buffet was comped enter into the amount u tip. I handed the waitress a $10.00 last nite and she asked me if I wanted change, I said no and she was so thankful it was unbelievable.

New JErsey
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buffet Tipping

Opposite happened to me. Was at Ceasers (café by the buffet) and had breakfast. Tipped almost $7 on a $23.00 bill (Orange Juice was $4.00 a glass) if you can believe that. The waiter was laughing right at me as I got up and left. Wont go back there if my money is not appreciated. By the was the buffet was $33.00 that day, I was shocked.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
401 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buffet Tipping

About $3 to $5 over person is a good tip for a buffet. It depends on the service.

Sterling, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buffet Tipping

I only tip 10% at buffets versus 20% at sit downs. I tip myself the other 10% since I'm the one bringing the food to my table.

NJ
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Buffet Tipping

I've got to believe that buffet servers have more tables/hr than servers at a sit down and order type of establishment.

A $5 tip for 2 people @ a buffet seems pretty standard in AC.

That said, if you want to tip $5 or $10 per person, feel free..... no one will complain.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
762 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buffet Tipping

Buffet servers should be tipped the same as sit down servers. Yeah you may be getting your own food, but more than likely the server is clearing away more dishes than at a sit down restaurant. They are still providing the same service, minus bringing you your meal. If they fail to refill a drink/clear dishes/check on you, then by all means lessen the tip, but IMO they should be tipped about the same.

Sterling, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buffet Tipping

<Buffet servers should be tipped the same as sit down servers. Yeah you may be getting your own food, but more than likely the server is clearing away more dishes than at a sit down restaurant. They are still providing the same service, minus bringing you your meal. If they fail to refill a drink/clear dishes/check on you, then by all means lessen the tip, but IMO they should be tipped about the same>

From what I have noticed, buffet servers have a larger section, about twice the amount of tables as servers do in a sit down restaurant. So they are probably already making equal wages at 10 percent versus 20 percent.. They might even be making a higher hourly wage, although I have no proof of this

Edited: 12 July 2013, 20:42
Washington
Level Contributor
4,567 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buffet Tipping

Depends on the type of buffet.

At the AC buffets, if the person serving my table does a pretty decent job of removing my plates & asking if I'd like drink refills, I will normally tip $6-$8; the $8 when that person is more attentive. I think I would be tempted to tip even more, but I have yet to experience anyone at an AC buffet who give's extremely attentive service. If the person seldom checks my table & seems to not care, I only leave $2. However, I will admit something I did during my last Veteran's Day AC trip when I went to one of the buffets (I seem to recollect it being Caesars Boardwalk Buffet). My female server was one of those who's place experienced flooding from the hurricane. We both exchanged a very nice conversation about what had recently happened, & although her service was pretty good (but not superlative), I got out a $20 bill & handed it to her as a tip. I felt He##, it's not going to kill me & she could use the money. She was very appreciative & thanked me a lot; the sparkle of pleasure in her eyes lit up when I handed her that $20; you wouldn't believe!

But at the Rio Village Seafood buffet in LV, I will tip the person $20 & I will explain the reason why. In the 7*/Diamond seating area, there are one of two guys that take care of my table (depending which one is working that evening). These guys constantly empty my seafood waste bowl, remove used plates, refill my drinks, & even bring me a hot, damp, washcloth so I can clean my hands good after I'm finished. It seems they take that extra mile to please.

Edited: 12 July 2013, 21:07
Old Bridge, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buffet Tipping

I will always tip at a buffet, but the amount is always based on how attentive the server is. Less tip if plates get stacked up, drinks dont get refilled and they generally ignore you. MOre if they come around frequently, refill drinks and remove used dishes in a timely manner.

pa
Level Contributor
3,301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buffet Tipping

Depends on the service.Buffet or sit down.Depends!

New York, NY
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buffet Tipping

geez, for a moment there i thought i had wandered into the vegas forum. this is a recurring contentious topic over there.

i would agree with c-srt8, that many people tend to tip about $5 for standard service for two dining patrons. (this is for a "regular" AC buffet and not a sunday brunch type thing like you'll find at nero's.) as for who does and does not leave a tip... it's true some people don't leave any tip at all... and that is sad.

but some people like to tip on their credit card, so you wouldn't necessarily see anything on the table. and others like to tip the server personally, by giving them the folded bills in their hand as they walk out. i often do this myself, ever since i witnessed other diners stealing tips off tables and since i've had servers tell me they've had tips stolen. in that case, you wouldn't see anything on the table, either.

>.Depends on the service.Buffet or sit down.Depends!<<

which hotel has a "sit down" buffet?

Edited: 13 July 2013, 00:04