We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route to A C from L I

n.y.
Level Contributor
946 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Best route to A C from L I

Traffic wise , what's the best route to drive to A C from eastern L I

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route to A C from L I

Traffic wise, as you know it can be hit or miss. I take the Southern State to the Belt over the Verrazano and then take SIE, the Outerbridge Crossing to the Garden State South. (I'm on the South Shore)

I have taken the George Washington Bridge then NJ Tpke to the Garden State South when the NYC Marathon closed the Verrazano.

Either choice you make it really depends on the time of day. I usually leave western Nassau County around 9:30 am and get there around 12:15-12:30 with a bathroom break. The Belt and SIE have been awful with pothole repairs and construction but the LIE, Throgs Neck and Cross Bronx are not walk in the park either.

Hope this helps.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route to A C from L I

If you take the "north route" going (GW & NJ turnpike), you save a couple of dollars over taking the Verrazano.

I either leave AC before 11:00 AM or after 5:00, otherwise you get clobbered coming back home.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route to A C from L I

I know I'm probably in the minority but we go through Manhattan 95% of the time. Midtown Tunnel, across 31st Street into the Lincoln tunnel. I HATE the Southern State to the Belt to Staten Island because we ALWAYS seem to run into traffic, roving pot hole repair, our some other traffic issue!

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route to A C from L I

Oh Frank, you're a better "man" than I . My GPS always says to go through Manhattan and I would if it were a Saturday or Sunday but I've not had any luck, no matter what time of the day going crosstown. I just get so worked up when I drive through the city, I'm like a different person. lol

Michael, I leave AC the same times you do, before 11 or after 5, some trips are better than others even leaving those times. I sail to the SIE but the last few trips the Belt has been murder going East from 10am lasting all day. (usually just over the Bridge to Flatbush Ave.) then again by Kennedy.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route to A C from L I

We have been doing it probably twice a month for the past 9 years and the Manhattan route is our favorite. We have always been able to find a way around any issues. Get stuck in Staten Island or Brooklyn and you are stuck!!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route to A C from L I

Avoid the Staten Island Expressway if you can. It has been a traffic nightmare and a never ending construction for the past couple of years. No matter what time I leave, I am always stuck in traffic, sometimes for over an hour.

7. Re: Best route to A C from L I

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 06:16