We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did anyone read the reviews of Brulee?

Which Atlantic City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Did anyone read the reviews of Brulee?

Oh my GOD! The reviews were horrible. I had made a reservation and after reading the reviews, I canceled the reservation.

$1000 for a Brownie? Are you kidding me? You have got to read the reviews.

…yahoo.com/p-travelguide-5036690-brulee_the_…

Patrons beware

Harlemgirl

NY
Level Contributor
387 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Did anyone read the reviews of Brulee?

I have not read the reviews, but make no mistake about it...I WOULD NEVER EVER GO BACK THERE again. Believe me, I am a guy who LOVES desert and coffee...but literally for 4 of us dessert and coffee cost about $125, and really it was AVERAGE at best.

The week after I first went a friend wanted to go there for her birthday...I warned her, but we all went anyway, same exact experience...way too expensive and average stuff....

to be fair, this happened early last year, but I cant imagine much has changed.

L.

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,614 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did anyone read the reviews of Brulee?

Harlemgirl~~Thanks for the link to the reviews. Any dessert freak that knows anything about AC would go to the buffet at the Borg. Better desserts & much much much better price. According to the AC Press they sold 3 of the $1,000 gold dusted brownies last year. No one's ever said $ & brains were connected. What would be the tip for getting one of them anyway? Would you base it on the service--or the price? LOL

New York
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did anyone read the reviews of Brulee?

I was kind of disappointed. My husband is a dessert freak and I thought this would be a good anniversary surprise. I had already booked the reservation and then I saw this review.

If I had seen many positive reviews and people saying it was worth the money, then I would have taken him. But when people were saying not only it wasn't worth the money and that it was disgusting. I immediately canceled. We are staying at the Borgata so he will be happy with their desserts.

Harlemgirl

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,614 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did anyone read the reviews of Brulee?

If hubby likes desserts the Borg buffet is probably the best for desserts in town. Even when the buffet is not so hot--limited selections, no shrimp or crab legs, etc.--their pretty, artery clogging, gooey, sugary desserts are about as good as they can get. Have a great time & give us some report back of your experience.

mt. laurel
Level Contributor
122 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did anyone read the reviews of Brulee?

the reason why the brownie is $1k is because of the very rare port that's served with it. that's where the price tag comes from. regardless, it sounds like the place is overpriced in general. oh well, i was going to take hubby there for his birthday treat.

Central NJ
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did anyone read the reviews of Brulee?

Always amazes me when people are willing to pay outrageous prices for something just because there is a limited supply of it .It also amazes me how many people think something is better because someone decided to charge more for it .

Rare doesn't mean it's better ! More expensive doesn't mean it's better . Svedka and Viking Vodkas are about 1/3rd of the price of Grey Goose and routinely beat out GG in blind taste tests .

If they did a blind taste test on that Port I wonder how many people would choose it over a good $12 per bottle Port . How many people are throwing money out the window for the sake of "snob appeal" ?

I'm supprised someone hasn't come out with $15 dollar a gallon 'designer gasoline' lol

mt. laurel
Level Contributor
122 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Did anyone read the reviews of Brulee?

seriously...i don't even drink port so i wouldn't know the difference between the "rare" port and the port in a box ; - )

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Did anyone read the reviews of Brulee?

Myself, I'll take "any *port* in the storm".... <wink!>

LOL

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
471 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Did anyone read the reviews of Brulee?

LOL - "port in a box"! Good stuff.

Borgata doesn't seem to evaluate restaurant business plans very well. Half of the places in there wind up being overpriced disasters.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Did anyone read the reviews of Brulee?

Don't think I'd ever be able to order a $1,000 brownie. As far as being able to tell the difference between a $50 Port and a $500 Port, well that wouldn't happen for me. Just for giggles I once ordered a $300 bottle of wine (friend offered me dinner out or 1/2 the bonus he got for recruiting me to his company and I took the dinner). While I can tell the difference between a $10 bottle and a $50 bottle, after that it's all the same to me.

Harlemgirl, from your report I think you made the better choice.

Cate58