We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I go to East Timor for holiday over christmas

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
18 reviews
Should I go to East Timor for holiday over christmas

My husband and I can take a week off over christmas and we have been wanting to go to East Timor all year. Currently in Darwin so it's close.

Flights are the same price over the christmas break.

Should we go during that time or does the wet season make it terrible timing for a holiday destination? We want to go hiking, swimming, diving and relax.

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
605 posts
2,232 reviews
1. Re: Should I go to East Timor for holiday over christmas

The weather shouldn't be a big problem - heavy but brief rain almost every afternoon, so Dili beaches can get polluted but ones outside Dili should be fine, plus travel in the mountains can be difficult (landslides, etc). The bigger problem will be a lot of things shutting down because everyone's with their family. You would want to double check that any accommodation that you're looking at outside of Dili will be open. Dili can actually be quite nice during that period as there are fewer people but they still have public events relating to xmas and NYE. I think the diving companies are also travel agents so you could contact them about transport and accommodation options during the period.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
26 posts
137 reviews
2. Re: Should I go to East Timor for holiday over christmas

i dont think so Dili is the best destination for Christmas

Dili
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Should I go to East Timor for holiday over christmas

East Timor over Christmas if fine sd long you don't go up the mountains. For diving and swimming Atauro would be the best - clear water all year around.

Reply to: Should I go to East Timor for holiday over christmas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dili
Recent Conversations