We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electrical plugs

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
675 posts
39 reviews
Electrical plugs

Hi! My daughter is traveling to Dili on a study tour and I can’t seem to find a clear cut answer on which electrical adaptor she needs to bring for charging her phone/laptop. Is it a US style adaptor, or European, or something else?

Many thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
605 posts
2,229 reviews
1. Re: Electrical plugs

Ooh, I found a response of mine from a previous thread for this: "The most common type is probably with two round pins (Type C? I think type F will also fit) and this would be the best adaptor to bring. However, Type G (UK style with 3 flat pins) and Type I (Australian style) are also common. Universal adaptors (e.g., power strips that accept multiple types) are common here for that reason."

There was a lot of inconsistency and you can't be sure what sockets you will get. She will be able to buy adaptors in Dili easily, so she could wait to see what sockets are in her residence - if she's staying in one place, otherwise a multi adaptor would be best.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Electrical plugs

It depends where you are in Timor-Leste as to the type of plug needed. I got caught out two weeks ago at a homestay but was able to buy a two pin plug for 2.50USD at the first little shop I went to. Then I changed accomodation & was able to use my standard Australian plug.

2 posts
3. Re: Electrical plugs

You can buy adapters with a mini transformer in them. Those adapter will comes with all international outlets.

Reply to: Electrical plugs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dili
Recent Conversations